• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Border Crossing Woes

... Spin testing isn't required to certify floats. What is wrong with those guys - Captain Ron

Ron, Spin testing is required for floats in the U.S.. All single engine airplanes have to be spin tested unless for some specific reason there is a waver granted. I have performed this testing while certifying EDO 3500 floats on the Cessna 185.

Thank you guys for the information! I stand corrected on the radio station issue. I am not going to proceed with the certification of the boat carriers on the 180. That project was decades ago and is not part of our routine now. I have brought a gun through Sand Point up into Canada SFD9. The people who man that station come from the Bridge Station in Fort Frances and so that is where I would call if I was you. 807-274-3655 is the number I have in my book. We have a BB gun at the camp and used to have a .22 but they don't allow leaving that anymore. My son asked this summer and I think he told me that they said there was a $25 fee for the summer and you could bring it each time you came but couldn't leave it. We never had a problem following the rules. We used to grouse hunt up there but haven't done that in over 10 years. Rules change over time, usually never for the better.

Ron

Have any of you guys ever brought a gun through Sand Point? I've only been there once & forgot to ask about it. I'll be crossing there next month. I'll call them too, but figured I'd ask your experience with it.

Thanks.

The Porthill crossing is north of Sandpoint on the border. Their direct phone number is 208-267-5309.

It is easy to transport a firearm either way. To take one into Canada you'll need to pay a $25 fee and fill out some paperwork with Canadian Customs.

To bring the firearm back into the US you must have already filled out a CBP Form 4457 which is named a "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad". This can be done at a Customs office prior to leaving the US. There is no charge for this and it takes just a few minutes and has no expiration. This proves that you owned the firearm before entering Canada and that you're not trying to import a firearm.

Spinner, sorry I should have been more clear. Sand Point Lake, seaplane AOE.

Yep I'm fermilular with the process, I've crossed by truck and flown commercial into CA before with guns. Pretty much a non-event there. Just curious about Sand Point Lake because its so remote.

Thanks for the phone number Ron, I'll call them!

The radio station license and radio telephone operators permit are both ICAO requirements for international flight (flying to or through Canada is "international" if you are from the U.S.). So is a statement on your pilots license that you are english proficient (located under limitations).

John Scott
Thank you for saying it better than I did.

Back