• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baumann/Edo question for PA 12

dbahn

Vermont
Hi, first time poster here, and a pending part owner of a PA 12 to be put on straight floats. (I've owned a J3 for 15 years, and still love it as much now as then.) So we're technically not in the Super Cub camp, but this PA 12 has nearly all, if not all, of the available PA 18 STC's along with a 160 HP engine.

We've pretty much narrowed our new float purchase to either Edo 2000's or Baumann 2100's. An earlier search dug up this thread, but it's from 2003 and I understand a lot has changed since then, both with Baumann improving their product and with Edo trying to lower costs by manufacturing theirs in China.

For us a full comparison of cost (issues like painting, crating, shipping, hatch kits, paddle mounts) reduces the cost differential to about $2000 less for the Edo's, despite the list price difference being considerably more. So when the whole package is assembled the cost difference amounts to about 2% or less. We plan to use the plane for commercial sightseeing operations as well, and the flat tops alone might justify that extra expens.

So I'm interested in any updated opinions. Thanks for any help.

Great site, BTW, and was recommended to it from other aviaition forums.

Are the Aerocet floats approved on the PA-12 yet? Their web site doesn't indicate that they're approved on anything but the -18.

It would be hard to beat either the EDO 2000s or the Bauamann floats.

The differences are pretty simple, though:

1) The EDO's are a little heavier than the Baumanns, perhaps 20 to 30 pounds. On these small airplanes, weight is important. Baumanns weigh 247 ready to install. The Aerocets weigh 265, for comparison. I don't have a weight for the EDOs off the top of my head, but they are heavier than the Baumanns.

2) The Baumann floats are flat topped, and they have HUGE stowage lockers.

3) In my experience, the Baumanns take a LITTLE more work to install the first time than do the EDOs. That is a one time deal, though, and not really a big deal. Get someone to install them who knows what they're doing.

4) Performance-wise, I don't think you'll go wrong with either. They both perform well.

5) Dock rash: If you go to docks a lot, the Baumanns will show a little more dock rash than the EDOs. Cosmetic.

If twas me, I'd order a set of the Baumann floats, fly the plane to WI and have Joe install them on your plane. You get some flying in, and save the shipping and crating costs.

I suspect the Aerocets will be a good option as well, if and when they're approved on the 12.

MTV

I just passed 85 hours and the third float season on my Baumanns and extremely satisfied. I got the dual float lockers on both floats along with dual water rudders. You will enjoy the flat tops but I agree that docking does take its toll cosmetically. But I do almost 100% fast river operations, it's quite the challenge. Joe and Allen did a superb job on the initial installation. You will not regret getting them installed at New Richmond. All paperwork and weight and balance was superbly done. You will not be dissapointed.

Denny

dbahn said:
Hi, first time poster here, and a pending part owner of a PA 12 to be put on straight floats. (I've owned a J3 for 15 years, and still love it as much now as then.) So we're technically not in the Super Cub camp, but this PA 12 has nearly all, if not all, of the available PA 18 STC's along with a 160 HP engine.

We've pretty much narrowed our new float purchase to either Edo 2000's or Baumann 2100's. An earlier search dug up this thread, but it's from 2003 and I understand a lot has changed since then, both with Baumann improving their product and with Edo trying to lower costs by manufacturing theirs in China.

For us a full comparison of cost (issues like painting, crating, shipping, hatch kits, paddle mounts) reduces the cost differential to about $2000 less for the Edo's, despite the list price difference being considerably more. So when the whole package is assembled the cost difference amounts to about 2% or less. We plan to use the plane for commercial sightseeing operations as well, and the flat tops alone might justify that extra expens.

So I'm interested in any updated opinions. Thanks for any help.

Great site, BTW, and was recommended to it from other aviaition forums.
Welcome dave. These guys will know float particulars. I am heading to the wad flyin tonight NH76 and then to greenville for the day tomorrow, hope to bump into you up there.

Well, I know it's been a long time since my original post, but the advice given above was certainly helpful and very good in all respects.

After exhausting an attempt to get Aerocets approved for our PA 12 (it might happen later) we chose new Baumann's (BF 2100 straight floats) and I flew the plane to New Richmond to have them installed. Joe Birkemeyer was great, and I really loved watching them be installed, a process which seemed to go very smoothly, despite the "usual" expected minor glitches along the way, like the absence of a good prior W&B sheet.

Once installed, we waited for that record setting deep low last week to leave Minnesota and then flew to Tavares, Florida, in 2 days (1100nm+). I have very little floatplane experience, so it was a great adventure for me, and people in the know seem to LOVE the Baumanns.

I'm a happy camper. I'm planning to take my wife back down to Florida and get her the SES rating (I'm a CFI), and we're also looking at trip in August to Churchill, Manitoba, to see the polar bears. Considering that my first floatplane lesson was a little over a month ago, I feel like I'm on a roll . . .

Here's a picture of it, with Joe Birkemeyer nudging into the water at New Richmond for its maiden flight on floats.

PA12Slaunch.jpg

Been flying Baumans for 5 year now and have no complaints at all. Put about 100 hr per year on them and they look like new. Have Joe put them on and rig them. I started out with 1500's on my PA11 and switched the next year to 2100's. Joe gave me a great deal on the trade in.

If anyone's interested in seeing the Baumann installation process, I added this web page of photos to our "SEAFLAVER" web site.

For me it was fun to watch the manufacturing and installation processes, which I had not seen before.

Back