• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Basing a Seaplane in South Florida

Gary Reeves

SPONSOR
Lake Clark National Park, Alaska
I'm considering bringing or obtaining a float plane to base in South Florida for the winter months.

My winter residence is in North Palm Beach and I need advice on a docking and tiedown site within a resonable distance.

Once I get up to the swamp cabin on Crescent Lake things get good, but I can't find a good fresh water spot within an hour drive of North Palm Beach.

Any advice - other than amphibs?

Gary Reeves
3983Z@starband.net

Alex,

No, I hope to never leave Alaska, but winter is sure nice in Florida.

I'll be back in early March, but 83Z is still in Port Alsworth and I miss it.

GR

Alex,

Not too much heat here in S Fl right now. 40 degrees last night.

Gary,

For years I looked around the same area for a place to keep a floatplane. Not a lot of luck. Distance, restrictions, saltwater etc.
You might check out the rim canal on Lake Okeechobee on the east side just N of Pahokee airport. I have flown over that area a lot and it looks pretty good for floats. Google earth will give you a good pic of the area.
Protected area and homes with docks behind the houses. Might be able to work out a deal with a homeowner. Next time I fly the Mooney over that area I will check if there are any floatplanes there. Closer to N. Palm Beach than I am.
Amphibs would still be my choice especially if you want to fly the Bahamas. Clearing customs etc.
Let me know if you find something.

Mike

Mike,

I have found two possible places.

The fellow that owns the grass strip at Indiantown is trying to turn it into a airplane/equestrian residental community. There was a swampy lake that is being made a lake for the community.

I'm going to see if I can buy a lot and park a float plane. I have not seen it yet and the google map is too old to show the improved lake.

There is a good shallow pond a Treasure Coast Airpark that apparently was the source of fill for the grass strip. I have few friends that are on that pond. It looks to be over 1500 ft and I'll drive by to see how much water it has in the dry season and what the chances are that the airpark would allow a floatplane.

Gary

Gary,
I used to fly ag in South florida and kept a camper at the marina in Belle Glade. Being that I had flown floats I was always looking at the prospects. You may go look at that option. I saw a couple of ways to keep an airplane there. You go through Belle Glade and over the levee to cross the bridge (it's basically an island). The other option mentioned is good as well. Before I had my camper I stayed at a place just outside the levee on the rim canal about five to ten miles southeast of Okeechobee. I rented a pontoon boat a time or two and there are many places you could line up if knocked on doors. There are still many small lots for sale as well with nothing on them. You're Indiantown idea would be the closest for you though.
I love to see your Lake Crescent photos by the way. I lived in deland for fifteen years on and off, used to fly at Flagler Beach and Palatka a lot as well as Pierson, Thunderbird, etc., so I've been across that country a bunch. It gives me good memories. Thanks.

Back