• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

B & C 20 amp alternator

B

bearsnack

I am installing a B & C 20 amp alternator on a PA-18 160, along with rear mount cooler, ECI oil filter adapter. Things are getting tight in the back, my main concern is the alternator to firewall clearance. Can anyone post photos or direct me to some that may give some ideas on how to approach this. The alternator is on the vacuum drive pad.

Steve Pierce said:
I think Crash installed that alternator on his PA14.

I wish I hadn't but I did and it is tight but will fit. My biggest complaints are the oil screen housing bolts are VERY hard to get out and it makes an irritating whining noise at low RPM. It's OK, looks cool, but for half the cost and twice the power the L-40 is a better deal. Putting one on my C-180 right now. Crash

I am installing the ECI filter adapter with it, I have to put the tach cable on, then bolt the filter adapter on. This means the cable must swing out with the engine. My biggest hurdle will be the plug on the back of the alternator. I think I will have to have a hole in the firewall that it goes thru. My measurements show the alternator to be about .3" away from the firewall when the engine is mounted. The engine is on the hoist right now with mount and accessories installed. I am just hoping it all fits when I go to hang it.
Changing the filter will be alot easier then checking a screen on an engine with a B & C 20 amp vacuum drive mount. If I can get it to fit.

The ECI filter adapter is a little shorter than the B&C so it should fit fine and it has a quick drain to drain the filter.

bearsnack, How did you come out on the alternator install, I am having second thoughts about going with the 10 amp B&C. I dont think I'll have enough juice if I ever use my landing light or ever add a comm.

Just wondering how the 20 amp version fits, Heck I'm at a point where I might put an old 20 amp generator on.

Thanks Matt

I have the 20 amp on mine and to accommodate the close clearance to the firewall we made a bowel shaped depression in firewall. This was done by backing the firewall with a shot bag from the inside and using an air impact rivet gun with a rounded head to pound in the dent. Sounds rough but it turned out looking quite professional and prevented me from making some kind of cutout arrangement in the firewall. As for the oil filter and the rear mount oil cooler, I have all that stuff too and by the time you get all that stuff on you will want smaller fingers! Changing to an electric tach is a real good idea since it is now easier to overhaul the engine than attach the silly tach cable.

You will find the SD-20 isn't worth screwing with. Send it back and get an L-40, buy your wife a new dress with the $300.00 you saved. Crash

I have been hunting for a week or so, I will be fitting the engine to firewall today and will give an update.

I talked to the folks at B&C a couple days ago about STCd L-40. I like the STC option, but it apparently requires that you have a rear-mounted oil cooler to comply with the paperwork. Are folks still just getting this field approved?

The FAA had a "field approval" seminar for A&Ps this summer in Anchorage. As an example they used the B&C alternator conversion on Cubs and Cessnas. No probelmo! They even supplied a sample form on how to write one up. I called my FSDO about putting a B&C L-40 alternator and LR3c regulator on my C-180 and he said no problem. "A much better set up then original, go for it". Take care. Crash

B&C Alternator

Crash said:
The FAA had a "field approval" seminar for A&Ps this summer in Anchorage. As an example they used the B&C alternator conversion on Cubs and Cessnas. No probelmo! They even supplied a sample form on how to write one up. I called my FSDO about putting a B&C L-40 alternator and LR3c regulator on my C-180 and he said no problem. "A much better set up then original, go for it". Take care. Crash

They've sure done a "Ten Hut" and " about face":

http://www.avweb.com/news/atis/184432-1.html

Hats off to AVWEB for shining some light into the dark corners..... if they can turn stuff like this around and the little guy gets some benefit when needed.

My 12 paperwork includes a field approval for my B&C L-60 alternator and regulator. It was the easiest approval I got, never any hesitation from my inspector. Adequate power was never an issue on the load calculation sheet.

I went with the L-60 for the potential addition of heated seats. :D

SB

I worked on the installation the past 2 days, the SD-20 has good clearance between the firewall, I did however put a hole in the firewall to run the field plug thru.
The ECI filter adapter fits snugly, It will be easier to change the filter than to check a screen if it had one.
All of this along with a rear mount oil cooler. Friday we get LEE exhaust which I suspect will not give any problems bolting on back there.
I am doing my engine later this winter and will set it up just like this.
Field approval on the B&C will be no problem, my PMI gave me the example Dave was talking about and we will go that route.

Back