• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AZ2AK mid June 2013

flyanozira

SPONSOR
Phoenix, Az
Three of us (Geo, EJ, and myself) are headed up from Arizona to the Haines Ak. area around mid-June. We are planning to be in the Haines area the last week of June through the first week of July then head back to the lower 48. We are traveling up in 2 Cubs; one a LSA Cub, the other my ’55 SuperCub. For me this is one of those bucket list trips, not getting any younger…

My wife is from Alberta so I’ve traveled from Az to Edmonton, Alberta via private plane for the past 6 or so years; the border crossing part isn't a problem, I’ve just never done it in a Cub. The travel time required in the Cub is rather daunting especially through the more remote BC/Yukon legs. Our planned route is to cross the border at Pendiction (CYYF), then Kamloops (CYKA), Williams Lake (CYWL), Prince George (CYXS), Fraser Lake (CBZ9), Smithers (CYYD), Dease Lake (CYDL), Atlin (CYSQ), Skagway for customs, then to Haines. Any comments or thoughts about this route would be appreciated. I’ve read through previous posts and this seemed like a reasonable route to take. Recommendations where to stay thru there would be great.

We would really appreciate some suggestions on where to stay in the Haines area. We would like to be close to the planes if possible. We're planning on day trips of the area, and my wife has relatives north of Whitehorse, that I probably should visit... Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.

Also if anyone wants to tag along on the adventure we will be meeting in McCall Id. prior to crossing the border. If you're interested in joining up, PM me, and we can go from there…
Thanks for all the great information available on the forum, it is a huge help in planning and preparing for a trip like this.

Nelson

Pix near Haines, Ak...

I hope that has the link... but that discussion might have some ideas for you...

(Note to SJ, this is not an add)

Lyn and I Live on 18AA, a private airstrip 14 air miles from town in Haines. The strip is 1650 feet long, and wide enough for cubs. It is grass.

We opened a small Bed and Breakfast here at the house, so you could park in the yard, or along the strip a couple of places and stay at the house.

A phone call to US customs in Haines might get you permission to clear the border here in Haines, maybe even at our house. They have done it at the Haines airport at times.

As far as the trip, smithers is a nice town, I think I stayed at the Loon last trip. To save time, you might also consider dease lake to Juneau for customs, then up to Haines.

I have lots of great places to fly around here, some sporty spots, and some regular places. The Sockeye start about that time of year, and Kings are in.

Call me if you like: (907) 767-5589 at the house.

There is a big family arriving here June 30 and will be here through July 3, but otherwise we are available.

George

should mention: facebook page: 18 Meadows-18AA

One other thought for a few days if you would like I can offer use of our cabins up the river, in the woods... the sandbar is not bad, the airstrip is one of the sporty spots...

That's the week of JC about 25 min east of McCall. There are 4-5 cubs heading to Alaska from there on Sunday.

PM Fdxlou about their AK plans. Cubbers like to travel in packs.

Campout in JC a couple days with your favorite 150 supercubbers. And, it's a nice primer for AK.

PS. George is a super guy and ill vouch for him. He's always inviting and wants to share the best. The pics of his new place we've seen look great.

Last edited:
Back