• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AOPA reports on aircraft tie downs

dryfarmer

SPONSOR
colorado
Results show the Claw has almost twice the holding power of the Fly Ties, and the screw ins hold better yet, though I would think that screw ins would have some use problems in rocky soils. What would be the opinions of those who have used the Fly Ties and Claw.

There have been documented instances of the Claw failing structurally. Not recently, so maybe that’s fixed.

Ive used the Fly Ties on my plane for over fifteen years, and never needed more, including during some no joke Midwest thunderstorms.

But, bottom line, so much depends on soil consistency wind direction and velocity, ferocity of gusts, etc, etc.

As to “screw ins, I’m assuming you’re not describing dog tie out stakes. One year at OSH, big wind came up in t-storm. J-3 parked down the row from me was tied down with those, ripped them out and jumped on top of a C-150. My Fly Ties were fine.

MTV

I have used Fly Ties for ten years but when I'm suspect of more than casual wind I drive in Duck Bills along side. I'm willing to sacrifice them for a restful night sleep. There is a way to remove them but I just bury the cable well enough to spare a property owner any aggravation.

Last edited:

Fourteen year old video came up with similar results, but I still prefer the flyties for the soil I usually tie down in (not florida) and it is a smaller bag. I also have a set of the claw, it's bulkier and ends up in the 180.

sj

Back