• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A year ago today...

fadec

Mooresville, NC
A year ago today we lost a good friend, David Jaranson. David was the first one I met on this site. I was having trouble posting pictures of my new Cub. David had me e-mail my pictures so he could post them for me. Over the next couple of years We exchange a few e-mails, talking Cubs, hunting and fishing. Never once did the discussion venture outside those topics. When I learned he was battling Cancer I was shocked. I learned of his passing and like all of you, I was deeply saddened.
When I learned that David had lost his battle to Colon Cancer, I remember thinking Colon Cancer at 43...that's not supposed to happen to young people.
This past September 28th the same day David was diagnosed back in 2004, I learned that we shared more than just the love of Super Cubs and the outdoors. I was diagnosed with stage 3A Rectal Cancer... at 43.
This post is to remember a great man and also for awareness. 150,000 people will be diagnosed with Colorectal Cancer this year 50,000 will lose the battle. 90% of those cases would have been curable if caught in time. Please take the time to get screened, a Colonoscopy will only interrupt your life for less than 24 hours.
I spoke with Shelley and John last month thru Facebook and both gave me their blessing to post this. Shelley's last comment to me was, "don't ever stop fighting, life is sooo worth living"
Take a moment on this beautiful Easter morning and say a prayer for the Jaranson Family. Take time and recall a David story or pull up one of his pictures, Its sure to put a smile on your face.

Thanks
Glenn MacDermod

Thanks Glenn for your post. I am up in Minnesota at my Mom's for the weekend. Your thoughts prayers and words are appreciated.

I am going to go walk the runway this morning....Clear skies, light winds.....David will be there with us....

Hi and Happy Easter from John and David's mom, just read the post from Glen and appreciate the beautiful words. Doing a lot of reminiscing this day about our beautiful boy. Going for an airplane ride with Pat Angelo today. David called all of you family, and loved sharing his love of flight with you.
My prayers are with you Glen.

Thanks again everyone.
Love,
His mom Jeanie.

I think of David often. His little philosophical comments are always on the tip of my tongue. I'm sure you all remember them... "It's not easy being Steve, it's just Steve being easy", "The weather is here, wish you were beautiful", etc, etc.... :)

I do miss him!

sj

I know I walk a little taller when I have his Fall Colors Shirt on...... and I have a real tendency to show it off....

Good time to start this post,,, Easter Sunday....

Miss you bud,,I'll be up at your place today poking holes in the sky and thinking of you..rest easy...

Blue skies always David. Glenn, good luck, I'll be thinking about you. I've just started trying to learn about this stuff. A few months ago during my VA physical I learned I have one of the first symptoms I guess. Nothing major yet, just enough for the Dr. to give me a little education, they said due to my age it's not even near a concern for them.

Glen,
Heartfelt prayers go out to you and Davids family.
Keith

Our Prayers to David and Glenn's family, also to everyone else on this Easter Sunday. Reflect on the good times for we are all here for a short time. Douten

Was SO glad to get to Johnson Creek with David. What an inspiration of strength. Only 4 weeks before our trip I visited Shelly "Mom" and David at U of Mn. hospital. David had just undergone another major surgury and 4 weeks later you would never know he was hurting. I think of David when I hear the quote " It is not how long you live, rather how many are glad that you did." Happy Easter to all and remember to count your blessings !!!

Glenn,
Hang in there and have faith and hope. We will all be there for you as best we can. I hope to meet you someday. I never got to meet David but I know how special he was.

David was the first .orger that I met along with his buddy's on there way to JC for his first time. Then later at coyote camp someone told me of his illness and I was amazed. I NEVER heard him complain, He was always asking what he could do and was up for anything and everything. Glen good luck with your treatment and Dan get your butt out here I'm backed up with projects!!!!!!

Happy Easter

Dave

I can think of only 4 or 5 times I was at the same coordinate and time stamp as David. I first met him at coyote camp. My contingent had arrived a day+ late after getting snowed in twice enroot to Montana from Oklahoma. That afternoon David was resting up after the morning's gun flight but was the first to welcome me (likely recognizing the "what I have I signed up for" look on my face after two snow storms , over an 800+ mile XC with only around a hundred hours total time in my pocket).

We had a couple of great conversations about flying, life and a place I had yet to visit (but then and there vowed to do) his home state of Minnesota. David was very open about his illness, having had an infusion just 4 days earlier and it made such an impression on me I had an early screening the next month.

Those events and toasts where we held David up will always be special but not so as the time I made it to his Fall Colors fly-in what a great time, especially Sunday after everyone else had blasted off and I stayed on awhile to dry my tent out and spend some time with David and Shelly, what a treat.

"Follow the guy in front of you"

Kirby

Last edited:
Had a nice flight with David one early spring day while there was still quite a bit of snow on the ground. It was an opportunity that I would never have again and one that I will look back on fondly often! I sometimes feel a bit guilty when I feel whiny. He never complained....even when you knew he had every reason to! We do think of him often.....I suspect he is missed by all who met him!

Glenn, we wish you well with your situation. Do whatever it takes!!! We are pulling for you!

cafi

Even though I never met David, I felt that I knew him, the kind of guy you would give your last beer too around a camp fire. I told him through a E-mail one time, that I thought his plane was the nicest looking plane on floats that I ever saw. He sent me a picture of it sitting on floats in front of his cabin. Saying you mean like this one ? That was the one David, Thanks.

Bill

Wishing you well Glenn, remembering the good times we all had at David & Shelly's place...Looking forward to many more this summer!

Pat

I buzzed in to David's strip yesterday to Give Shelly and Jean a hug and a happy Easter. No body was around, except Randy who came out to say hello. I was thinking of David all day yesterday and even though it was 19mph winds it was a great day for flying to be a little closer to my friend who has passed. Sorry I missed you ladies while I was there, my thoughts and prayers are with you as well as Glenn.

Last edited:
IMG_4814-1.jpg

thank you all for remembering Dave on this day. It means so much to me to have so many close friends. I miss him more than I can even explain. He's always with me, but it should would be nice to have him really with me!
Again, I thank you all for your memories and sharing your David stories. Brings much peace to my heart.

Love you all,

Shelley Jaranson

Back