• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

406 ELT w/GPS receiver 999$

NimpoCub

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital o
I see an ad in the new COPA paper for some gizmo called "Skyyhunter".

Says it has internal GPS receiver, 5-yr battery, 2.2 lbs, etc. Sounds good but I dunno all about this topic, haven't started studying 406's yet (I have 'till next Feb, right?) :)

Lots of different models @ http://www.pointeravionics.com/product.php?pid=39

A 406 w/GPS for a grand sounds like things are getting better.

Paid about $935 for my Artex ME 406 a year ago. I see it is up to about a $1000 now

http://www.skygeek.com/455-6605.html

Not sure what the difference between the Artex and the Skyhunter is. Noticed the Skyhunter says something about internal GPS receiver, that might better?

I believe whether its government mandated or not, its a good idea to have the new 406 mhz ELT in your plane. I suppose price will come down, but I'll be initially that availability could be a problem if it is suddenly forced upon us by the powers that be. Russ

Availability. Exactly.

When the mandate comes, everyone will NEED one, and there won't be enough to go around. Apparently, COPA has achieved a 2-yr grace period, but they don't think that will be enough.

There is a problem in Canaduh about the type of batteries that are "legal" so that is holding up a lot of purchase/installations. The crunch will come.

Interesting problems ahead. I think it will pay to keep informed, and then get your name on the wait list as soon as "we know" what we need.
Just my thought. I do that sometimes.

Garmin 496

Hello

I was in China last year and run into a company that had the Garmin 496 with Americans data base and I could get them at a good price I will have one delivered to me here within a couple of days if these are the true unit which I looked at a few months ago I will sell them to the super Cub members at a good price. this company was buying direct from the Garmin factory.

I don't believe the Artex ME 406 has GPS in it. For several thousands of dollars you could link to one of your other units- but they don't have a stand-alone ELT with embedded GPS signal.

You get GPS with the hand-held ERIRB (marine) or PLB that are on the market.

I wrote & asked a few questions of these guys...

It WILL transmit your down location to the satellite.
To do so requires a special GPS antenna, didn't say how much for that tho.

Will be a lithium battery, approved by Transport/Industry Canada

Owner install OK, except the GPS antenna, or cert. heh.

Can purchase now for delivery by end o' year.

Ah, but if it has no connection to aircraft power, AND it has an internal GPS receiver, it probably does NOT transmit your position to the satellite on the first transmission. (While you are still crashing) The gps has to be powered
up, then the position is sent on the second transmission a minute or so later, after the airframe has had a chance to :

a. roll over on the antenna

b. burn up...

c. sink...

So, the criteria is that it must have power from the aircraft in order to be truly effective? (I just figgered that when it triggers that it would instantly transmit. No?)

So this sounds like it's just one lil step better that the Spot gizmo.
What's the best -so far- 406 that will give me peace of mind that if I crash that someone will know to come lookin'? Seems to me that that's what I'll be spending the $$ for!

If they can design & build cell phones, MP3 players, blackberries, etc, that do so much, why the H can't we buy an ELT that will actually ELT??

It will instantly transmit....it's serial number....so they will know YOU just crashed, just not WHERE....(for a minute)
The ELT that monitors your existing GPS is in a better situation. The GPS is powered by aircraft power, or rechargeable batteries, and is sending a serial data stream to the unpowered ELT. The shift register chip (CMOS) required to store that info in the ELT can be powered from the serial data stream itself, since it only requires a few microwatts...that way the ELT battery can remain uncompromised, and the data storage powered from the GPS power supply.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it was me designing it, it would have an aircraft power connection, so as to keep the GPS powered up..... :onfire:

fobjob said:
The ELT that monitors your existing GPS is in a better situation.

Which puts ME in a better situation.

So, is there such a gizmo out there that is somewhat affordable?
How 'bout a recommendation or a place to look?
Will my Garmin 196 feed data or do I 'need' some starwars equip?
Where can I shop/learn? I hope I don't need another degree just to shop for this.

I haven't looked around recently, but I don't think there is anything worth buying on the market yet...there are several 406 ELT's which supposedly will be upgradable to having a GPS monitor installed...but...where? Artex was the last system I looked at, and it was still iffy.
Just about any GPS has a serial data out port. It also usually can operate with several different formats, which can be selected by the user. Tough luck if the fuel flow meter requires one format, and the ELT another...I think everyone is moving towards standardizing on one format, though..
I won't buy a system that doesn't react instantly with GPS coordinates, though...just have to keep looking.... :bang

fobjob said:
there are several 406 ELT's which supposedly will be upgradable to having a GPS monitor installed...but...where? Artex was the last system I looked at, and it was still iffy.

I've made my living in and around electronic products for the last 30 years.

Never buy "futures" when it comes to electronic equipment. Most of the time they never come through as promised.

Greg

Thanks, guys, but that's not what I wanted to hear.

Less than 7 months until the supposed mandate & still nothing 'reasonable' on the market? Not like China to miss an opportunity in N America.

That's true.
But, maybe someone forwarding a link to this page to Pointer would give them some marketing insight, and accelerate the process.... :-?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, all this is based on deductions based on physics and my years as a circuit designer. They MIGHT have a way around the problem......but I doubt it....and it wouldn't take much to add a few diodes and a power connector, if they still wanted to sell a few units....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running a "GPS OK" light to the ELT remote panel would be a good idea, too... :cheers It should come on about a minute after turning on the avionics buss....

I just spoke with Artex, regarding the ME406 ELT that I own. According to Artex tech support, the ME406 does NOT have the ability to interface with any GPS unit (like my Garmin 250XL or 396) and does NOT have an imbedded GPS. Therefore according to them, it will never be able to transmit my GPS coordinates. He said that their is talk of adding this feature to the ME406, either interface capability or imbedding a GPS receiver in it, but as of now, it is just talk.

Artex told me at Sun n Fun that this fall they were planning on an interface for the ME406 that would "Only" be about $700. This would still be way cheaper than any of the others with an interface. I guess they might have changed their tune - we'll have to see what they say at OSH.

Jack

The present Artex interface is 1500 bucks, which will stay high until they recover some of their engineering costs....the hardware costs are relatively trivial.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A manufacturer has almost no control over the selling price of his product....it's all based on his shop floor capacity....and demand...
so, it would behoove us to wait a while...

fobjob said:
Ah, but if it has no connection to aircraft power, AND it has an internal GPS receiver, it probably does NOT transmit your position to the satellite on the first transmission. (While you are still crashing) The gps has to be powered
up, then the position is sent on the second transmission a minute or so later, after the airframe has had a chance to :

a. roll over on the antenna
b. burn up...
c. sink...

Ah, yes...
Apparently, ALL 406 thingies have a 50 second delay, thus share this drawback.
They TX 121 immediately but delay the 406 TX to prevent unneeded anxiety to the monitoring SAR folks. Also, if NOT connected to aircraft power, the internal GPS needs to flash up & get a fix (via the int. battery) before it can TX your GPS location. I want it monitoring my position all the time so I'll connect it to 12V via the remote switch.

I asked about availability etc, and got this back from PointerAvionics(dot com)

Hi Logan,

The expected release is spring (April/May). The GPS section will need to be powered from the “Aircraft Buss” so if you want to run an extra conductor to the cockpit to pickup “Buss” power or find available “Buss” power closer to the ELT and bring it in through the remote connector as well you can either way. You are correct that if you want to use the GPS while in flight you should have the gps section powered in one of the ways discussed above so it does not drain the battery.

Regards,
Pat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 7:45 PM
To: Sales
Subject: When?

Howdy,

I reckon I'll need a new 406 ELT soon. I understand that demand will exceed supply for a while, so I wonder how long it will be before I can get one. Just finishing up rebuilding my SuperCub & plan to put the remote switch in the wing root. I see where the remote switch doesn't need aircraft power, but I thought it needed it to keep the GPS Rx working... it can't just run off the battery, can it? The GPS feature is the reason I want one of yours!!

Please advise.

Thanks, Logan (in the boonies of BC)

EDMO in their latest flyer is showing a unit by Kannad called their "406 AF-COMPACT" for $875 list.

Google Kannad 406 AF-COMPACT for additional product info

Also note that the 406 regulations are again delayed because Parliment is "out" and the new reg hasn't made it through the National Gazett because of this.

Well, if PRICE is the only issue, I reckon you can always find a cheaper one.
Website said Manufacturer: EDMO DISTRIBUTORS, INC

Distributors 'eh ... guess where it comes from??

Folks, I really can't understand why you'd consider a newfangled ELT without GPS capability.
Can you s'plain to me why I shouldn't be so cranked 'bout that feature??
(really)!

Nimpo -the way I see it if the elt survives the crash then the 406 and 121.5 should be enough for the Search and Rescue folks to find me. If it doesn't survive then the GPS function or anything else will not help. Most units want gps interface which is an additional cost and complication.

piperville said:
Most units want gps interface which is an additional cost and complication.

Right you are. MOST units are incapable or want me to squeeze my wallet harder for a GPS fix.

I figger that for ~ the same price, why not tell SAR where I am, instead of the general area??

Back