• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

O235-c to o-235-c1, what's it take?

txfirefighter628

Brownwood, TX
What parts are different between a c and c1 o235? Is it legal to upgrade a c to a c1 on a certified pa-12? Does it require a STC or just a 337?

Does that make it 115 HP by allowing higher rpm?
This is the TC for the engine http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...0A059B37AC25DF6786257B63006B66B9?OpenDocument Click on the pdf.

The -C engine is not listed anymore. The -C1 is rated at 115 hp @ 2800 rpm.

The problem with this is that if you have a prop which allows you to turn 115 hp for take off and climb, your cruise speed will suffer tremendously. You would probably want to limit your cruise rpm to the 2400 rpm range which would mean that your manifold pressure would be very low. Low fuel burn and low speed.

Last edited:
I had read a Lycoming bulletin years ago and as I remember it said you had to change the camshaft and the Carb. I will see if I can find the bulletin.
EV

Had a C for awhile and then a C1. Same plane and prop. No noticable performance difference.

Found this in a O-235 manual
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 782
Had a C for awhile and then a C1. Same plane and prop. No noticable performance difference.

Wow!!!! So going from the 100hp C to the 108/115hp C1 made no discernible difference?!! This is really hot news to me, as I'm struggling with what to do engine wise, I have a C and debating whether to go to a C1 conversion or the whole hog to a 320

Phil,
For lots of reasons; simply make the switch to the 0320.
No matter which 0235 series engine you run there is simply NO comparision in performance. No matter how you try to justify it ; resale, potential amount of buyers, cost to repair, parts availablity, slight fuel savings. None of
them including your just going to fly light on fuel with no passengers are all hopeless theorys.
Install a 0320 in your PA12 and unlock its true potential.
A 0235 PA12 is a very underpowered airplane with any kind of a load........ And will only get more n more expensive to work on.

My PA-12 had an O-235-C1 when I bought it. It was a total dog. I had to circle to get to pattern altitude that first summer in Utah, with 7,500 density altitude. Upgraded to a 150 hp O-320 and later to an O-360 and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I agree with Windy. Except my -12 is 160 HP O-320. It had the straight O-235 (100 HP) when I bought it. Just fine for local flightseeing at sea level and cool temps. But if you want performance and aren't wedded to the original setup, look for an opportunity to get the O-320 (or more).

My PA-12 had an O-235-C1 when I bought it. It was a total dog. I had to circle to get to pattern altitude that first summer in Utah, with 7,500 density altitude. Upgraded to a 150 hp O-320 and later to an O-360 and never looked back.
That would be expected when operating at the elevations of Utah. At 7,500 feet you would have had only a maximum of 75 hp available, more likely less. A loaded PA-12 is no ball of fire at sea level.

I could not agree more with reply #10(and others). My experience with a J5A-75 at sea level indeed confirms that the type needs more ponies for sure. I wouldn't put another dime into a O235 . Same with the O290 in my Spezio, if one cylinder dies it would be cost effective to machine the cases/convert to a O320. (You could even make a O235 bigger but of coarse not an option for a certified aircraft)

I'd be looking for a bigger engine !

Jack

I had the O-235 C1 in my J-5/PA-12 hybrid until it ended up on its nose and the guy doing the shockload wanted a kings ransom to put it back together. It was so much cheaper to buy an O-320 B1B and get it overhauled. With the Borer prop, Stoddard short engine mount, PA-18 tail feathers that went with the change it did end up costing about $10 000 more than simply repairing the O-235 would have cost but the new engine was “0” time (the repaired 235 would not have been zero time) and the aircraft is transformed from quite nice to wonderful! Go O-320 for sure

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back