• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking at O470 powered C185 what are the things to look out for?

IainR

FRIEND
Underberg, South Africa
A friend has asked me to cast an eye over a O470 powered Cessna 185. It is NTCA and has been recently refurbed. Any advice on the pitfalls of ownership? I am aware of the wing and tail AD anything else to look out for?

Look for the burglar who stole the fuel injection! ;)

An IO-470 powered 185 is a 60 year old airplane. Everything needs looking over.

Not sure about model years but the neighbor has a first model year 185 that originally came with an IO-470. That airplane does not have a fuel selector, only a fuel on/off valve. Not an option I would want.

Not sure about model years but the neighbor has a first model year 185 that originally came with an IO-470. That airplane does not have a fuel selector, only a fuel on/off valve. Not an option I would want.

Fuel selector valve was an option on ALL 185s, though most were so equipped. Planes without have an on/off valve on the tunnel. One of the best 185s I've ever flown didn't have a fuel selector.....never missed it.

There's nothing wrong with the IO-470 vs the more common IO-520. The IO-470 just puts out a bit less power.

But, as Stewart said, that's a really pretty old, and likely well used airframe. I'd want a REALLY thorough pre-buy by a mechanic that specializes in Skywagons if it were me. The tail AD may not have been done, and there are other ADs that are equally important. A GOOD inspection of the gear and gearbox is also essential.

These are great airplanes, but they are all getting old now, and most have been working airplanes for at least part of their lives. The kind of work that 185s are generally used for can be hard on airframes.

MTV

The United States Department of Interior has an excellent inspection manual for the 180/185 airplanes. If you PM me your email, I'll send it to you.

Thanks guys. This is a ex-airforce aircraft so certainly had a hard life! Also very difficult to value a old 470 185 as so few of them come up for sale.

The ones I have seen (as well as IO550 converted 180's) have a L-R-BOTH selector, but without an OFF position.
There was a separate OFF knob, safetied to the ON position.
Maybe this was to prevent running the lines dry, which might require some special procedure to bleed / purge?

I have the same recollection as Mike. This was an option. I believe it was also included as part of a seaplane kit. Optional otherwise.

I have the same recollection as Mike. This was an option. I believe it was also included as part of a seaplane kit. Optional otherwise.

Yes, the fuel cutoff valve was standard on all of these planes. The R/L/Off fuel selector valve was an option. The early 185 I flew had no selector valve, and it was mounted on EDO 2960 floats in summer and straight skis in winter. When I first flew it, I asked the owner of the plane why it didn't have a fuel selector. He had ordered the airplane new from Cessna, and wanted it kept as light as possible, so when he ordered it, he marked the box for fuel selector as "none".

The Cutoff valve is required, since you have to have some means to stop flow of fuel to the engine compartment. Which begs the question:

How many of you Skywagon jocks have actually pulled that cutoff valve and shut off the fuel using it? Good exercise if you haven't.

This was the first model year the IO-520 was standard, and he'd flown that thing a LOT since he bought it. He said in all the years he'd owned it, he'd never wished it had a fuel selector. It was a great airplane, and it was light.

Consider this: How often do most Cessna pilots actually select one tank or the other? Certainly, there are reasons to do so, but they're pretty rare when you really need to, and that's usually because your fuel system feeds unevenly. I'd fix that before I added a fuel selector.

Finally, a fuel selector involves at least three more connections, a valve that can fail/stick, etc. All possible leaks, failure points, etc, though I realize that rarely happens.

MTV

Consider this: How often do most Cessna pilots actually select one tank or the other? Certainly, there are reasons to do so, but they're pretty rare when you really need to, and that's usually because your fuel system feeds unevenly. I'd fix that before I added a fuel selector.
MTV
I use my fuel selector every flight.

I maintain a non fuel selector equipped ‘66 185 for a friend.

any 185 needs the shutoff excersized or it may get really stiff.

My ‘74 has a selector and I use it. The E model I fly for part time work has a selector.

I spent some time maintaining and flying a Skywagon 1……..IO470 powered. with a Sportsman STOL and wingX tips. No float kit. short range fuel tanks. In the top 3 best performing 185’s I have flown. Grossed out or flown light. Truly only beaten by the ‘66 with a IO550.

Its been 12 years since I flew the 470 powered one, but it holds a sweet spot in my heart. At gross on Airgglas LH4000 skis, beat the hell outta a less loaded heavy latemodel w 520.

Is for sale in Alaska now

Yep, IF you think to switch to L or R or Off when parked.

MTV

Every flight in the C-185 ended with the fuel selector not on "Both". Part of my checklist. While in flight the plane I flew the most always fed the right tank first while on "Both" despite repeated efforts to relocate the tank's vent relative to the lift strut. Ball was in the middle and checked against fuselage level while parked.

Hmmmm, Supercub.org to the rescue: https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?51132-185-Uneven-fuel-usage-from-tanks Too late for me.

Gary

Last edited:
Every flight in the C-185 ended with the fuel selector not on "Both". Part of my checklist. While in flight the plane I flew the most always fed the right tank first while on "Both" despite repeated efforts to relocate the tank's vent relative to the lift strut. Ball was in the middle and checked against fuselage level while parked.

Hmmmm, Supercub.org to the rescue: https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?51132-185-Uneven-fuel-usage-from-tanks Too late for me.

Gary

I've flown a couple 185s that fed unevenly, down to say a half tank on one side, but then the other tank fed. Never figured out what was going on, I recall mechanics, as you say, moving vents around, generally to no avail. In any case, the fuel imbalance never got so bad I worried about it.

The two 185s I flew most I can't recall moving the fuel selector hardly at all. Generally when parked, fuel was low, so porting wasn't an issue.

But, as Dave mentioned, that fuel cutoff valve NEEDS to be exercised occasionally, or it can stick. Had one that was really hard to engage once. And, that handle comes out a looong ways to cutoff.

MTV

When boon docking for several days I kept the fuel selector on the right tank and used it for daily running. Then kept 15 gallons in the left for reserve just in case the bears found my stash. Also it was easier for me to fill from the right side than left - container on engine cover towel, climb gear or steps, swing container to top of wing while holding the float lift ring for support if slippery. The factory caps leaked fuel out and water in so had them replaced with raised caps. That also helped reduce the crossfeed problem when running on Both.

In bear country I anchored 15 gallon plastic drums offshore until needed. Tetlin, Kanuti, and Yukon Flats were bad for bears. Never got water in fuel passed the O-ring caps. Seagull poop on the drums was an issue.

Gary

When boon docking for several days I kept the fuel selector on the right tank and used it for daily running. Then kept 15 gallons in the left for reserve just in case the bears found my stash. Also it was easier for me to fill from the right side than left - container on engine cover towel, climb gear or steps, swing container to top of wing while holding the float lift ring for support if slippery. The factory caps leaked fuel out and water in so had them replaced with raised caps. That also helped reduce the crossfeed problem when running on Both.

In bear country I anchored 15 gallon plastic drums offshore until needed. Tetlin, Kanuti, and Yukon Flats were bad for bears. Never got water in fuel passed the O-ring caps. Seagull poop on the drums was an issue.

Gary

Yep, all fond memories. Been there. Climbing around on wet planes wearing hip boots while lifting five gallon cans up to wings, hanging on by lifting rings is what got me to hating VGs.

MTV

A friend has asked me to cast an eye over a O470 powered Cessna 185. It is NTCA and has been recently refurbed. Any advice on the pitfalls of ownership? I am aware of the wing and tail AD anything else to look out for?

"Refurbished" can mean different things to different people. Look at the gear attach points - take the seats out, look at the rails, pop those inspection panels while you're at it and look looseness, cracks, & advanced cable wear - this is the area rarely checked or seen by anyone but an A&P and will tell the tale of how much refurbishment was done. As previously stated, these birds are used to haul heavy loads (I hauled 5 & 4" dredges with mine (stacked). It's just what they do.

Look for 1350 hours. Past that, things just seem to happen with the 0-470. I never figured out why, but they just do. They're built lighter than the Lycomings but are less thirsty. If you're buying an old engine, do it with the knowledge you won't be getting all those hours of fuel savings to make some of the difference. Lower the hours: better the rewards on an 0-470. Todays prices are obscene, you don't want any major overhaul bills right away unless this is that fabulous creampuff we all drool for. Then and only then - it's worth it. That said - I hope it is good, and you get it! Nothing quite like having one.

Last edited:
I use my fuel selector every flight.

Me too....I switch it from OFF to BOTH prior to start-up, then at shut-down from BOTH to OFF.
Mine does not cross-feed in the off position.
Mine feeds faster out of the RH tank, occasionally on a trip I will run it on LEFT,
but it has never fed so unevenly as to actually be a problem.

.....In bear country I anchored 15 gallon plastic drums offshore until needed. .....

Smart....I probably wouldn't have ever thought of this.

Fuel valve.....I'd start and warm up on one tank then switch to both for takeoff not knowing if one feed was adequate and didn't want to find out. Fuel was simply liquid gold with no supply nearby but what was stashed. Now we have fuel flow totalizers which make it safer.

I guess the other things I'd want now would be a primer to help hand propping or at least a second source of battery power if going far off the reservation.

No doubt those Cessna's are valuable and the asking prices reflect that. Take the model year and adjust for inflation in today's $. Then count up or down for hull, engine, and prop condition. Add in supply versus demand and see why they're seen at $200-300K depending on the package. Better than an IRA for some value.

Gary

Me too....I switch it from OFF to BOTH prior to start-up, then at shut-down from BOTH to OFF.
Mine does not cross-feed in the off position.
Mine feeds faster out of the RH tank, occasionally on a trip I will run it on LEFT,
but it has never fed so unevenly as to actually be a problem.

Smart....I probably wouldn't have ever thought of this.

Yeah, but bears swim.....a lot. Might be harder for them to wrestle with a jug in the water, but.....we had a cabin on an island, small island. Brown bear lived behind the outhouse when he wasn't fishing in the stream up the lake a ways. Made you certain to announce your approach when headed to the biffy. That bear swam a LOT.

I do not park a plane with the fuel selector in the OFF position. Almost the only time I use that position is if I'm fueling and need to get max fuel in tanks. Prevents fuel from cross feeding, while you're switching sides, and frankly, I'm not sure that's even much.

I religiously check fuel selector on during my pre takeoff flow. That said, I also know I'm not perfect.....Most planes won't let you get to the runway if the selector is off, but not all.....
MTV

Last edited:
"Yeah, but bears swim.....a lot." Geeze now you tell me! They didn't get the floating drums. Later electric fencing solved the storage problem.

Gary

Yes, the fuel cutoff valve was standard on all of these planes. The R/L/Off fuel selector valve was an option. The early 185 I flew had no selector valve, and it was mounted on EDO 2960 floats in summer and straight skis in winter. When I first flew it, I asked the owner of the plane why it didn't have a fuel selector. He had ordered the airplane new from Cessna, and wanted it kept as light as possible, so when he ordered it, he marked the box for fuel selector as "none".

The Cutoff valve is required, since you have to have some means to stop flow of fuel to the engine compartment. Which begs the question:

How many of you Skywagon jocks have actually pulled that cutoff valve and shut off the fuel using it? Good exercise if you haven't.

This was the first model year the IO-520 was standard, and he'd flown that thing a LOT since he bought it. He said in all the years he'd owned it, he'd never wished it had a fuel selector. It was a great airplane, and it was light.

Finally, a fuel selector involves at least three more connections, a valve that can fail/stick, etc. All possible leaks, failure points, etc, though I realize that rarely happens.

MTV

I use it every time I fuel up. I select left or right to prevent fuel from flowing from one tank to the other.

Yeah, but bears swim.....a lot. Might be harder for them to wrestle with a jug in the water, but.....we had a cabin on an island, small island. Brown bear lived behind the outhouse when he wasn't fishing in the stream up the lake a ways. Made you certain to announce your approach when headed to the biffy. That bear swam a LOT.

I do not park a plane with the fuel selector in the OFF position. Almost the only time I use that position is if I'm fueling and need to get max fuel in tanks. Prevents fuel from cross feeding, while you're switching sides, and frankly, I'm not sure that's even much.

I religiously check fuel selector on during my pre takeoff flow. That said, I also know I'm not perfect.....Most planes won't let you get to the runway if the selector is off, but not all.....
MTV
Minor point, but “off” crossfeeds just like “both”. Gotta select left or right to prevent cross feeding. Inner spool in the valve has ports forming a “T” shape.

Minor point, but “off” crossfeeds just like “both”. Gotta select left or right to prevent cross feeding. Inner spool in the valve has ports forming a “T” shape.

Maybe others do, but my 53 180 does not crossfeed in OFF.

Back