• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA18/95 solo from back seat

giangab

Hi friends,
I have. PA18/95 fully restored (also thanks to supercub org members advices).
I have read somewhere that this type of plane can be soloed either on front or rear seat.
I would be glad in having your comments, experience and advice.
Thanks
Gian

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Several issues would determine if you can solo from the back. First is weight and balance. If alone in the aircraft, are you still within the CG range? Next is access to controls. Where is your carb heat and mixture (if equipped), mag switches, fuel shut off controls located? Are they accessible from the back? Does the Flight Manual have any restrictions on flying solo from the back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Several issues would determine if you can solo from the back. First is weight and balance. If alone in the aircraft, are you still within the CG range? Next is access to controls. Where is your carb heat and mixture (if equipped), mag switches, fuel shut off controls located? Are they accessible from the back? Does the Flight Manual have any restrictions on flying solo from the back?

Tks. You are right:

mags switch and mixture are on the front panel … cannot reach
trim, carb heat and fuel selector on the lower left panel as in any pa18: can more or less reach
cog I will check on my chart: must be within range.

I don’t know if, being satisfied the above points, Piper has provided solo from the back seat, perhaps with some requirements: does any one know?

Pa11 are solo either seat. My Pa18/0200 is Ex and I solo from rear seat sometimes, but my controls are on left side panel

Glenn

Tks. You are right:

mags switch and mixture are on the front panel … cannot reach
trim, carb heat and fuel selector on the lower left panel as in any pa18: can more or less reach
cog I will check on my chart: must be within range.

I don’t know if, being satisfied the above points, Piper has provided solo from the back seat, perhaps with some requirements: does any one know?

One of the best flying planes I have flown was a PA-11 with O-320 and an 18 gallon tank in each wing, did not have a backseat only fly from the front seat, flew nice.

Honestly why? I am 6’2” and 210 lbs and couldn’t be anymore comfortable slide the seat all the way back and great visibility. The back to me seems too low and hard to see.

Honestly why? I am 6’2” and 210 lbs and couldn’t be anymore comfortable slide the seat all the way back and great visibility. The back to me seems too low and hard to see.

But you can stretch your legs resting on top of rudder pedals or out on the strut. I find the back more comfortable

Glenn

Back