• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Be —extra— careful welding in the hangar!

tedwaltman1

FOUNDER
Delta, CO
Someone welding in a hangar and set off a can of gasoline. Burned 1 Piper and lots of equipment. Near Denver. 18V.
2F6D1E56-89E5-49D8-8342-B4033CDCD215.jpgA2269153-6C14-4CBF-8B12-789E2BEAD055.jpg

Attachments

• 2F6D1E56-89E5-49D8-8342-B4033CDCD215.jpg
    2F6D1E56-89E5-49D8-8342-B4033CDCD215.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 165
  • A2269153-6C14-4CBF-8B12-789E2BEAD055.jpg
    A2269153-6C14-4CBF-8B12-789E2BEAD055.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 146
Applies to shops, too. And grinding sparks, etc.

I remember forgetting that once, when I thought I'd just do a little quick grinding. Put on face shield and hearing protection and hit the piece for all of 20 seconds.

I got done and saw where the sparks were shooting: a 2.5 gallon can of mixed 2 cycle fuel I had set down the day before.

Nothing happened, but I felt almost sick at what could have happened.

Yikes! My uncle lost a barn with a couple cubs, heavy equipment, and some boats. Cause of that fire --- oily rags in a bucket.

On the same subject, cleaning parts with brake cleaner then welding can be REALLY bad. Can create a toxic gas.

I wash washing a pipeline welder(sa200) in the shop prior to repainting
The generator part was coating with oily dirt and a water hose hadno effect so i poured gas over it and it helped loosen the dirt. The aircompressor kicked on and i watched the spark from the pressure switch contact ignite the gasfloating on the water
Almost the entire shop was on fire, esp the welder with 20 gallons of gas in the tank
A fine mist of water spray layed the fire down but scary stuff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Fire at 18V was yesterday. Thanks to everyone for the other helpful reminders about possible fire hazards!

Yikes!

After I did the crispy critter move on myself in the boat, I have a healthy respect for small sparks and fumes.

My uncle used to tell me when welding inside a shop, vent it well. Open all the doors, and keep all flammables contained. Naturally, along with most that have welded, I have an assortment of boots and clothing with burn marks from cutting/welding and grinding. Amazing how fast polar fleece will dissolve when grinding slag is spraying onto it.:cry:

Keep safe everyone

I was helping my cousin fix a piece of farm equipment years ago. Had to use his bench grinder and didn't notice he was charging some tractor batteries on the floor. The batteries blew the tops and I didn't appreciate all the holes in my Tee shirt. Also, watched a mechanic blow all the batteries in a golf cart when he started arc welding without unhooking them.

I liked wearing my fleece flying until I was burning a grass patch one day and took it off since the fire was warm. It got a bit close and melted almost instantly! I don't wear it in the airplane any more. I don't weld in it either. The last thing you want on fire in your shop is yourself.

Most of your clothing is probably cotton. Cotton especially when its damp with a little sweat has good fire protection. It will char when it gets too hot. Wool is good too.

Most of your modern insulating clothing is probably synthetics. Synthetics will typically melt when the get too hot and stick to your skin then sustain a flame. It's a bit graphic, but it might help us remember that next time we weld/grind.

Amazing how fast polar fleece will dissolve when grinding slag is spraying onto it.:cry:

Keep safe everyone

Too true. You'd think I'd learn by now. I have three prized polar Tec style jackets with melted spots and holes in them from grinding, not welding.

Most of your clothing is probably cotton. Cotton especially when its damp with a little sweat has good fire protection. It will char when it gets too hot. Wool is good too.

Most of your modern insulating clothing is probably synthetics. Synthetics will typically melt when the get too hot and stick to your skin then sustain a flame. It's a bit graphic, but it might help us remember that next time we weld/grind.

Also too true. One of the jackets mentioned above started burning from using a cutoff wheel. I smelled the combustion by-product and had it off in a second. I'm glad I noticed. It was ready to really burn, but I got it out with my boot.

I have it hanging up by my shop door as a reminder.

Back