• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Canada Border update 6/21

Paul Jackson

PATRON
MN
It seems our friends to the north are easing some restrictions on the border but not welcoming any Yanks looking to fish.

They published and as of this moment have pulled back AC 6/21. I have recently purchased a fish camp in Ontario with a partner (he is a Canadian citizen) so I am following this closely.

Here is what we were told:

Canada resident only with proof of full vaccine and negative Covid test within 72 hours

He has to go to an open POE if you are General Aviation (they call business flights Part 91) which for MN that would mean Thunder Bay is our best option (Ft Francis is not offering services at this time)

Business and airline are only over the big four (Vancouver Calgary Toronto and Montreal)

Questions that remain open:

CBP agent mentioned she thought there was a requirement for 3 day self quarantine

There was no clarification of N registered aircraft as they say all Part 91 aircraft must go over Big four and in the next breath say "general aviation" not used for business can use any open POE. We operate under part 91 here in US regardless of business or recreational use of an aircraft. Does this mean all US aircraft must use big four as they are all operated under Part 91?

There is language in the Notam that refers to "returning" Canadian aircraft and pilots with no reference to ex-pats who live abroad and hold FAA licenses and are operating a N registered aircraft. The narrowness of the statement is concerning. Technically the pilot is not returning to Canada is the flight originated in the USA and not Canada.

COPA has a post about the subject that makes the issue even more muddy and the Customs folks we spoke to have no idea what to do with an N registered aircraft with a Canadian pilot aboard let alone a passenger.

https://copanational.org/civicrm?page=CiviCRM&q=civicrm%2Fmailing%2Fview&reset=1&id=436

Let the confusion continue. As of today the active case count in Canada is 6,323 out of 2020 estimated population of 37,742,154 (that is 17 hundredths of a percent or about 1 in 6,000 people)

Also, there is talk about Sand Point Customs near Crane Lake opening once this all gets settled. Imagine having a camp or business on Namakan, Sand Point or Lac la Croix lakes and boating to Fort Frances to clear customs. I hope the talk is true.

My new camp is on an island on the east side of Loonhaunt Lake. It is about 25 NW of International Falls towards Nestor Falls. We really like that it doesn't have trail or road access and keeps the ATV guys from dragging their boats in. Previous owners were MN guys and it is an amazing camp that we hope to be good stewards of.

So here is what we have happening July 5th.

* There are limited locations open for crossing
* US citizens cannot cross for recreational or tourism and have to meet the exemption list on the CBS website (ferry pilot or air crew for hire)
* Canada citizens in US can cross with proof of vaccination uploaded to the ArriveCAN app prior to arrival at border
* You have to take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada.
* General Aviation aircraft do not have to use the "Big Four" airports (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal) and can use other open facilities
* You must have a suitable quarantine plan in place where you can stay for at least 14 days. You have to have a "plan" to get the exception.
* Final determination is made by a government representative at the border based on the information presented at the time of entry into Canada. You must therefore be prepared to quarantine for 14 days.
* You may be eligible to not quarantine if you meet the following:
-are eligible to enter Canada
-are asymptomatic
-meet the Government of Canada requirements of fully vaccinated travelers
-meet all other entry requirements, including entering your information in ArriveCAN before arrival

That appears to be it. Canada citizenship, proof of vaccine, proof of negative test.

I am posting as I would guess if US citizens get permission to cross at the next scheduled deadline of July 21 it would look a lot like this. There is some news reports that land owners may be able to cross but many are hoping with case counts so low and vaccine numbers climbing in Canada that the next step won't be incremental.

I have a Canadian citizen buddy who crossed back home to Canada yesterday. He is an aircraft Broker/Dealer. Per talking to CanPASS the prior day, he was exempt from quarantine (he has received his vaccinations). Got to the border and they made him return to the U.S. to get a Covid Test even though he was told the previous day he was exempt. So, as Paul correctly states above, the final determination of everything is up to the whims of the local agent at the particular border cross you happen to visit.

So, theoretically, your plan for your quarantine is a remote location that they approve. What happens if you return over the border in less than 14 days?

As I understand the testing and other requirements on both sides of the border, "crew" are exempt. The exemption in Canada specifies crew as defined by 101.01 of the Canadian aviation regulations which is "means a person who is assigned to duty in an aircraft during flight time,...

Note that there is no distinction between commercial, airline or private operations.

It's difficult to confirm this stuff because it appears that few of the people enforcing it actually understand or have even read the crew exemtions.

The CDC order also exempts crew from testing.

I would also argue the the person who "assigns duties" is the pilot in command. There are all kinds of duties, from navigation, communications, lookout etc. That could be assigned that have no licensing requirements.

Unfortunatly it all comes down to the uniform from CBSA you have to deal with. But knowing your rights is always good.

Back