• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Glad I removed my Tail Section!

hard to tell what happened in the recent Copper Valley accident....hopefully the NTSB will be timely with their prelims if there was implied component failure preceded by unusual wear

Gary

The question for me is was it a tail structure failure or did a ski failure contribute.
There was a ski failure accident in Canada years ago when the airplane (185?) came apart in flight. The two back seat passengers rode the tail section to the ground landing in a snow bank, survived. That sounds like a miracle to me, but it did happen.

Hey guys,

I Can not say much, but will give great kudos to the NTSB. It was -20F when they went out to the crash site.

I can tell you the AD had been completed with the Bushwheel Bill upgrade less than 100 hours ago.

They are working on the cause, but it will take time.

Please don't speculate.

Thank you for your respect in this matter.

AOPA and two individual commenters requested the FAA revise paragraph (h) of the AD to allow credit for previous actions performed by using SEL-55-01 if the airplane was also inspected for loose or sheared rivets. The commenters suggested there are no significant differences between SEL-55-01 and the proposed AD. AOPA also requested credit for actions performed during the prior annual inspection.
"The FAA agrees that operators may take credit for previous compliance with SEL-55-01; however, a change to the AD is unnecessary. Paragraph (f) of this AD requires compliance unless already done. Thus, the AD already allows credit for the initial inspection specified in SEL-55-01 if completed before the effective date of the AD. Similarly, operators may take credit for actions performed during the prior annual inspection if those actions are identical to the procedures specified in SEL-55-01."

Can you retroactively log it for AD compliance?

Back