• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel tank grounding?

bob turner

I never really thought about it. One of the Citabria guys asked about ground straps - remember, most Champs have wood spars.

So now I am thinking - sure, the metal cover probably touches the neck of a Super Cub tank, but what else touches? The straps all have felt, which probably conducts a bit, but all the other connections are rubber hoses.

What am I missing?

My Air Energy tanks are bolted to the metal spar, except for the J4. I have not yet enjoyed an annual with that one. The J3 main tank has metal to metal contact through the shutoff valve.

None of the RANS rotationally molded poly tanks have any bonding that I know of. How about all the cars now with plastic fuel tanks, I wonder what they do.

my dakota tank has a ground lug on it, which i do have a wire on. BUT, ive never taken a ohm meter, thinking about the spark plug deal, to check and see if there is connection all the way through to where i connect the ground, if its connected. and i will bet less than .01 percent of the people have actually checked that.

Back