• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

cleveland wheel service

tempdoug

PATRON
nd
when doing wheel bearings, im just wondering, if anyone is putting the molded seals in or just sticking with the felt? if there cleaned and packed without being around a lot of water, the felt works ok. just need the itch i got, taken away, for that rubber seal. might even be ok just to run the same felt on the inside on the outside. ive got that little 1/4 inch felt with the seal cup 153-01500 which i could take out and change to the same as the inside.

I think the original bearings were greased wood. I have never seen a bad bearing in a landplane Cub, but I sure have seen them on old Ford front spindles. Repack car spindle bearings often, and tighten with care.

I put a brand new set of grove wheels with brand new bearings on a Champ, and three flight hours later the IA was repacking those beautiful bearings. I bit my tongue . . .

I put a brand new set of grove wheels with brand new bearings on a Champ, and three flight hours later the IA was repacking those beautiful bearings. I bit my tongue . . .

A similar experience I had, a customer's C-206, it just sat there. Each year I fired it up, ran it up and taxied it in for it's annual. Clean the plugs, changed fluids and repack the bearings being a part of the service. For four years the only time that engine was started or the plane moved at all was when I serviced it at annual.
I went into restoration and building EX aircraft where I felt I was actually doing something for a customer.

I only service wheel bearings when installing new rubber or when the aircraft has been exposed to high moister... Otherwise it’s just a waist of perfectly good grease...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a new set of 1 1/2" Cleveland wheels and brakes for my Super Cub when I got new 3" extended gear with 1 1/2" axles. They came with the rubber seals and Cleveland sells them as spares. I looked for 1 1/4" seals for ustomers airplane in the service document Cleveland put out on the rubber seals but could not find them. Called them and they are not available in 1 1/4". I like them for the same reson I like the rubber seals Bill Duncan came out with for the 3200 tail wheel.

I repack the bearings every 200-250 hrs on my Ag Cat when rotating or replacing the tires. It doesn’t have as rough of a life as a full time rice plane, but I’d ballpark it at 1000 landings during that time span in somewhat dirty and very humid/salty conditions, and the grease hasn’t even lost it’s blue color yet. Seems pointless but it’d nag at me if I didn’t repack them every time.

It’s been 3 years/300 hrs since I packed the bearings on my J3, they look just fine.

Again, the bearings that need attention are the outer spindle bearings on an automobile. 10,000 miles on those tiny little Timkens is like 10,000 hours on an aircraft.

for priming before painting the magnesium wheels, going to use a rattle can but use zinc chromate, zinc phosphate or what?

Again, the bearings that need attention are the outer spindle bearings on an automobile. 10,000 miles on those tiny little Timkens is like 10,000 hours on an aircraft.

Other than the fact that there are no cars produced with separate serviceable bearings anymore.

Did not know that. I used to do my own work 1964 & 66 Mustang Convertibles) but my wife's Beemer goes to competent technicians, and the Ranger is a (ugh) Mazda. Still, I think the recommended Mustang repack was 30,000 miles.

Did not know that. I used to do my own work 1964 & 66 Mustang Convertibles) but my wife's Beemer goes to competent technicians, and the Ranger is a (ugh) Mazda. Still, I think the recommended Mustang repack was 30,000 miles.
Most every vehicle today has changed to cartridge bearing as on the BMW you have. Some of those bearings as with the fronts on your BMW are serviceable but most are toss & replace. I drive a 47 YO Jap car, the bearings have not been touched in 30 years, looked at but not touched.

just a positive note, McFarlane Aviation Products was or is great for cleveland wheel stuff.:lol: Price and to my door. ive nothing to gain just liked the service.

Back