• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Extended Gear

I have beringer 10” and 6” no issue swapping systems however there is increased costs and you have to bleed brakes.

I have beringer 10” and 6” no issue swapping systems however there is increased costs and you have to bleed brakes.
How do the brakes on the Beringer 10” setup compare to the Grove or Cleveland set up? I’ve heard less fading during heavy use. Are they a pain to bleed?

I know a Cessna guy that was running the 10 inch bushwheel rim with 21 in Desser tires. He was waiting for the Grove/31 inch Desser tire STC to come through. He felt he could use some more brake with the weight of the Cessna.
DENNY

Interesting - Airframes Alaska extended Cub gear is 3" higher but they do not go forward 3" as some do (e.g. Legend's in-house welded HD gear is a 3" x 3", or TK 1's has options of 2, 4, 6 or 8" height x option of 3" forward).

For our MOAC build - If I'm not running a heavy engine like the 390 and instead use one of the lighter Titan engines, is there a need for extending gear forward? We'll always have loads in the back and be relatively heavy.

Extended gear isn’t 3” or 6” higher. Typically its longer, so for 3” gear the plane is 1-1/2” higher and about 3” wider wheel track. TK-1 measures gear extension by increased length of the struts. With mine a new cabane was required to lower the attachments and I got longer struts. Apparently Javron goes higher without added width. No idea what Acme is doing. The big take-away? There is no standard. To illustrate the point? When I switched from 3” ext Airframes gear to 6” ext TK-1, my spinner tip was 4” further off the floor.

Is the MOAC standard Cub length? Compiling some W&B numbers from guys with similar airplanes should be easy enough. My tail is heavy in three point so I didn’t want forward gear. Guys with light tails (standard length airframes and big engines) do like it. I think TK also offers 6” forward.

MOAC is standard length fuselage.
Your point about "standards" seems valid. I have W&B's from two builds - one with a Titan 370 and one with an IO390 - but don't know the gear on each example. I'll find out.

Extended gear isn’t 3” or 6” higher. Typically its longer, so for 3” gear the plane is 1-1/2” higher and about 3” wider wheel track. TK-1 measures gear extension by increased length of the struts. With mine a new cabane was required to lower the attachments and I got longer struts. Apparently Javron goes higher without added width. No idea what Acme is doing. The big take-away? There is no standard. To illustrate the point? When I switched from 3” ext Airframes gear to 6” ext TK-1, my spinner tip was 4” further off the floor.

Is the MOAC standard Cub length? Compiling some W&B numbers from guys with similar airplanes should be easy enough. My tail is heavy in three point so I didn’t want forward gear. Guys with light tails (standard length airframes and big engines) do like it. I think TK also offers 6” forward.

Look at the physics of a tail wheel vs a tricycle landing gear. The further forward of the center of gravity of the main gear of a tailwheel airplane, the more tendency there is for a ground loop. So, if you are a bit queasy in the use of your feet in preventing a ground loop, It would be wise to forget moving your gear forward.

How do the brakes on the Beringer 10” setup compare to the Grove or Cleveland set up? I’ve heard less fading during heavy use. Are they a pain to bleed?

The 10” beringer setup holds the 35” during at full power runup. Bleed the brakes in the same manner as the cub system.

Back