• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thoughts on this C-180?

Since this turned into a general 180 weight thread (I didn't want to derail the org post, but that's the nature of the internet).

Dave, I too was shocked how light these planes can get with some (okay, A LOT) of elbow grease. I'm too am big believer on keeping them light as well as I routinely fly at high DA's. I feel the benefits far exceed just the useful load factor (but that's a big plus too). Thanks for sharing your weight as equipped, I assume you still have the -A engine?

Lou, sounds like you're well on our way to a very light 54! Very cool. I can't wait to hear about it when it's done. I too am running the Desser 8.50 smooths and found them to be a great overall compromise for my mission. I have about 55 hours (approx 150 landings) on them with and they seem to wear well and handle rough strips to my satisfaction.

Good points you guys.

SB, with Wing X my useful would be about 1392. And fly better at 2950 with it than 2550 without wing x.

Matt, yes, still has the A and 90" prop.......

When the time comes I can pponk or even 550 it and still be bumping around 1600 maybe.

The only 180's I'm personally familiar with that are really 1550-pound airplanes are like Carey describes, stripped and bare early models. I'd be thrilled if my own 53 model was down in the 1500's, but it comes in at 1652. Except for the Odyssey battery, BAS jumpseats, & G5 horizon, almost all of the mods added weight: K engine, 88" Mac, 185 legs, 850's, double-pucks, v-brace, extended baggage, pull handles, BAS harnesses.

I was around and flew aLOT a '54 that was 1642 lbs. on 8.50/10 and Gar Aero plus Gar wide tailfork kit. Early landing gear legs and tailspring. Ii weighed it.

Pussified complete interior with Atlee seats, extended baggage shelf. Six pack instruments plus a bunch of EI engine gauges. Com and transp. And CD playerSBSJ-16 on firewall. 470A and 90" prop. No wing leading edge kit, but with VGs.

Scuff and shoot paint, so.....double weight paint job.

FYI

Paint is what, about 40 lbs for a full shoot? I think that is what Don Sheldon discovered and put in his book.

The little things matter in weight. just using bolts that need an extra couple of washers add up over time and numbers. Then repairs.

Light the 180 is incredible, (early ones especially). Great for playing, and getting into a place to clear out for bringing in loads.

The early light ones are not as strong though, hence the later models gaining weight.

I have seen Jeffs bird for sale. It looks nice.

For reference, mine is something like 1642# on bushwheels. From digital scales after re-work of the plane.

weigth adders for mine would be: bushwheels, flints, sportsman, r motor, 88" prop, v brace, tail handles, new paint, alum extended baggage

Last edited:
I have seen Jeffs bird for sale. It looks nice.

For reference, mine is something like 1642# on bushwheels. From digital scales after re-work of the plane.

weigth adders for mine would be: bushwheels, flints, sportsman, r motor, 88" prop, v brace, tail handles, new paint, alum extended baggage
New paint, ya without pictures that didn't happen...:lol:

IMG_2742.PNGHa, it has been posted before Kirby

Attachments

• IMG_2742.PNG
    IMG_2742.PNG
    715.4 KB · Views: 235
Nice. Look at them Cub wings stacked over there. Thats what a guy needs......a cub and a C180

Back