• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Doc B-29 Tear Jerker on CBS Sunday Morning

WWhunter

FRIEND
Near the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi Rive
I realize the first flight of Doc since the complete restoration occurred a few months ago. I am one of those guys that has a soft spot for all the WWII era planes.Earlier this morning CBS had a piece on the restoration and first flight of 'Doc'. Watching the short segment on this plane brought tears of appreciation for all those that were able to help with the restoration of one of these great old birds! It was the best few minutes of the day.

Having a ride on FiFi a couple of years ago the the part where he was asked what was it like when those four engines went full throttle to which he said "It was loud" quickly brought me back to my own experience. That moment seemed to stick with me when as a moment thousands felt when the acceleration delivered by those four huge engines thrust their crew towards an unknown and uncertainty.
A susequent visit with a 29 crew member reinforced my thoughts when he told me the stories of two crashes he experienced returning from a mission running out of fuel and another limping in to an airfield having been even shot up badly. Another story he told me was about another crew full of fuel and bombs taken out by a sniper at the end of their departure runway. Not a scrap remained larger than a piece of luggage of anything. If you ever have an opportunity to catch a ride on a 29 you will never be sorry you did. An incredible aircraft and an amazing part of our history with some of the bravest souls this country has ever produced. ........Rod

That was an awesome way to start the morning. I loved the team work of everyone installing the flap. Incredible story and another piece of history saved.

One of the coolest pictures I've ever seen was a B-29 on the wall of Clayton Scott's office in Renton, WA. Clayton test flew quite a few of them. At first glance, it was just a close up of a B-29 in flight from just above it....but when you looked, it had 3 engines feathered, and you could see Clayton in the left seat, smiling! He said at METO power on one engine, he was loosing about 500' a minute. He had some big brass onboard, and was doing engine out stuff, when one of the crew wondered aloud if it'd fly on just one... he said the brass was pretty upset, but it was worth every second of it!!
John

Back