• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

B&C Alternator/Starter Conversion Issues

Mush

FRIEND
I'm in the process of converting my stock Prosolite starter and Delco Remy generator over to B&C products. I have a front mount Niagara oil cooler so I'm using the required Atlee Dodge mounting brackets. I have a few issues with the install.

1. My starter ring gear pulley size is 7 1/2". The Gates XL 7312 belt that was shipped with the kit from B&C is too short. B&C sells a 7365 belt that is 5 1/2" longer but that would be way to long. Does anyone know which belt is required when using the Atlee brackets?

2. The B&C alternator pulley uses a 3/8" wide belt, but the stock starter ring gear pulley uses a 1/2" belt width. The 3/8" belts fits down in the starter ring gear pulley, but is it okay to run it like that?

3. I currently have flexible oil cooler lines that run on top of the engine. The new B&C starter and alternator are in the way to run my flex hoses through the original holes in the baffle. Do I need to reroute them below the engine or do I just relocate the holes in the baffle and have longer hoses made to go around the alternator and starter? If I keep them on top, does anyone have pictures showing how to route them around the alternator?
IMG_1172.jpg
Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
1: try putting belt on alternator, then with flywheel off of crank flange/studs put belt on and push up onto crank, make sure in right position/big stud with the "O"

2: it fine

3: hose usually go underneath, and secured to sump bolts with Adel clamps

1. Pretty sure the belt is too small. The belt that is shipped from B&C is intended to be used with the B&C alternator mounting bracket which sits a lot closer to the engine case. It looks like the Atlee mounting brackets positions the alternator a lot further from the flywheel, which is making the belt too short? I was hoping someone else has used the Atlee brackets and may know which size belt to use.

Another question, I realize you have to use the special Atlee bracket on the starter side to fit around the B&C starter solenoid, but what is the reason behind using the Atlee brackets on the alternator side? It almost looks as if you could just use the stock mounts with no issue.

2. Has anyone left the hoses running on top? If so, do you just use a 45 degree elbow and route it around the alternator? Note: the oil return hose on the starter side still has enough room running on top of the engine.

I usually have to do the procedure that Mike spelled out. Put the belt on the flywheel pulley before putting the flywheel on the crank flange. If you still think it's to short, take the belt to any store that sells Gates belts and get one that seems a touch longer. Remember that an inch longer in belt size makes a pretty big difference in fit. When the belt is installed and tensioned, you want some slot adjustment left to use as the belt loosens with wear.

Web

No matter how we tried to install the Gates 7312 belt that is shipped from B&C,we just couldn't get it to fit. I still believe it is intended to be installed with the B&C alternator boss mount which keeps everything closer to the engine case.
IMG_1173a.jpg

Note to anyone installing the B&C alternator using the Atlee mounting brackets and having a 7 1/2" starter ring gear pulley: A Gates XL 7320 which is 32 5/8" seems to work perfect.
IMG_1191.jpg

We ended up rerouting the oil cooler lines from the top to the bottom as Mike suggested. We'll add fire sleeve and use adel clamps to secure it to the oil sump.
IMG_1194.jpg

Everything is coming together. Still a lot of work left for the conversion, but should be well worth it in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1173a.jpg
    IMG_1173a.jpg