• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

One Touch optical tach checker

S

StewartB

Anyone have any feedback? At $35.00 I'm curious about the accuracy and quality.

Thanks.

SB

Very accurate. Used it on 3 Cubs. Have to hold it very still or the reading jumps around. Stuck it out the window to check in-flight RPMs, because you can't aim it at the prop AND see the reading when aiming thru the windshield.

windy

windy said:
....... because you can't aim it at the prop AND see the reading when aiming thru the windshield.

windy

I have one and haven't had any real problem at all using it "thru the windshield". Getting the sun at the right angle helps, often a lot.

Mines been very accurate. And, I've checked it against my Horizon Electric Tach and it's always been dead nuts on.

I've also used one the more expensive tach checkers from AMT that my Repair station has and it wasn't any more accurate than the One Touch. If anything, it was just the opposite.

IMO, for the price, you can't go wrong.

I bought one of these little thingies a few months back and never could get it to register a believable number. I tried several times and finally shoved it into a glove box. I mentioned it to a friend during a conversation last week and he said he had the same tack checker and that his worked great. He went to his shed and got it so I could try it. Indeed, his worked perfectly. Through the windshield at any angle I tried it locked onto the prop and reported stable readings. It did validate by tach as correct. Lucky me to have bought a turd. Into the garbage it goes. Note to others looking to buy one? Keep the receipt.

SB

I've had same experience as WSH: Sun angle can be the difference between good/stable reading, and flaky, or no reading. You may be surprised and dismayed by the readings of your mechanical tachometer.

Hmmm, come to think of it, mine is out on loan right now, need to call the friend who currently has it.... :roll:

Thanks. cubscout

I bought one of these years ago.

Tested it against the high dollar @ the time $100 Plus checkers and it was dead on.

Only $21.99

I have the best luck through the windshield with the sun @ my back.

[/url]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=tachometer

TrentF,
Does the one you linked to work from the windshield? The "directions" state it must be held 4"-12" from the prop. I'm not so sure I want to put my hand within a foot of a spinning prop!!!
WW

I think you can check the accuracy by pointing it at a incandesent lightbulb and it should read 3600 rpm, remember your 7th grade science, electricity = 60 cycles a second X 60 seconds = 3600 rpm.

Glenn

Yes, when I called the One Touch manufacturer I was told to test it by pointing it at an incandescent light and it should read 3600. When pointed at the sun it should read zero. I found that really helpful in case I want to test to see if an incandescent light is turned on but the sun test reads the same if I point it at the moon so I can't prove anything with that one. Still, my One Touch has proven itself worthless as a tach checker and the manufacturer wasn't really very concerned about it. But my friend's works, and it works much better than some of the feedback stories here report. It doesn't appear these gadgets see much quality control. I'm sure not impressed.

Stewart

SB, for the price of 'em, just buy another one & be happy :)
Oh, and keep the recipe

I'm not unhappy. I'm just providing a product report. My error for buying a toy to do a tool's job.

SB

WWhunter said:
TrentF,
Does the one you linked to work from the windshield? The "directions" state it must be held 4"-12" from the prop. I'm not so sure I want to put my hand within a foot of a spinning prop!!!
WW

It works just fine through the windshield

The 4-12 inches is probably because of the propeller size on model aircraft.
And yes you can check it with a light bulb.

Trent

Stewart, Is this the one? I have had one for many years. Only time I had a problem is when I let the battery corrode in it.
onetouch.jpg

I was willing to give it another try but apparently the One Touch is no longer available, at least from the several sources I checked with. That didn't break my heart. I bought a Tru Tach and holy cow, its far superior to the One Touch in every respect. No aiming or fiddling with it. Sit it on the glare shield, it works. If it moves, it never skips a beat. Easy to read, too. Two thumbs up.

SB

This particular Tach seems to be discontinued -- I looked at Aircraft Spruce, Wagaero and Wicks websites -- discontinued item in all cases.

Back