• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What do you use to clean your fabric?

AvidFlyer

Fairfield, CA
I am fairly new to fabric covered airplanes. I was curious what method/chemicals you guys use to clean your Ceconite/Randolph coated airplanes? I'm worried about the paint when cleaning bugs off the leading edges and such. So far I've just been using Plexus and a microfiber rag that is no longer suitable for the windshield since that's what's on my bench but that Plexus is expensive! Thoughts??

AvidFlyer said:
I am fairly new to fabric covered airplanes. I was curious what method/chemicals you guys use to clean your Ceconite/Randolph coated airplanes? I'm worried about the paint when cleaning bugs off the leading edges and such. So far I've just been using Plexus and a microfiber rag that is no longer suitable for the windshield since that's what's on my bench but that Plexus is expensive! Thoughts??

one thing you don't want to use... costco sells "oil Eater" it will turn your white dope yellow ish quickly.. (actually i use it on small areas with a immediate quick clean off of that area then with isopropyl? alcohol, which is pretty harsh and scary also, good for moving vinyl numbers/names clearing a faded area, but you might just clean through to silver!!...)

We use Dawn dish soap, or any kind of shampoo. Spot treat with with a spray bottle of 409, Simple Green, or Crown Cleaner "Spray Power" on the heavy spots.

nkh

For bugs and belly oil, use "Bounce" dryer sheets....just keep them moist/wet.

I use a spray bottle of water and then the bounce....make sure you rinse with fresh water and towel dry, otherwise you will see a soapy film.

No need to rub too hard. I have used this for many years on fabric airplanes and it always does a great job.

Lou

I have been using Dri Wash on the planes and antique cars for years, Cleans great and puts a wax finish on the fabric. Can clean the wax off with alcohol if you need to do a field repair.

Just ask the fabric companies themselves. I asked mine, which was Air Tech Coatings, and they recommended 409.

FdxLou said:
For bugs and belly oil, use "Bounce" dryer sheets....just keep them moist/wet.

I use a spray bottle of water and then the bounce....make sure you rinse with fresh water and towel dry, otherwise you will see a soapy film.

No need to rub too hard. I have used this for many years on fabric airplanes and it always does a great job.

Lou

This is why I asked this crowd. How of thunked dryer sheets??

S2D said:
Rainstorms, anything else is hard on them.

Yup, and an airport rat kid with a soft brush that wants to trade labor for flying time!

One of the best ways I have found to deal with bugs is land on a muddy bar and cover them up.

See no evil :lol:

Moose blood is a bigger issue to me. Water and dish soap, kill the smell with lysol.

For my windshield, I have learned to soak it down and wash the chunks off in a rain shower, then spray it and leave it over night. things lift the next morning much better!

I use Prep-sol. Works great, and will not hurt the paint.. takes off bugs, oil, wax, sticker residue, just about anything. You can buy it at your local automotive paint store, I get mine at b&c auto in Wasilla. Ron

So dawn dish soap and maybe 409. Dryer sheets on oil/bugs? And no simple green? What about regular car wash stuff?

So dawn dish soap and maybe 409. Dryer sheets on oil/bugs? And no simple green? What about regular car wash stuff?
I waxed my leading edges. Then a facecloth soaked in water, wipe em off, wipe it dry after each flight. Don't give the bugs a chance to harden on.

Warm hydrogen peroxide antiseptic liquid sprayed on bugs will soften them. Harley Davidson offers a good spray bug cleaner. For cleaning and waxing try Mother's Carnauba wax. It doesn't contain silicone-based compounds that can later cause refinishing problems.

Gary

Attachments

• autogeek_2269_107258353.jpg
    autogeek_2269_107258353.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 108
Pledge furniture wax/cleaner for topsides and le bugs, let it sit a bit to soften bug residue before wiping.
microfiber towels to wipe.
WD40 to remove lead, carbon and stubborn oil stains on fabric bottom sides, gear legs, shocks etc

Silicone...Beware. We want to keep silicone away from aircraft. Removing silicone is very difficult and it effects future paint jobs. I understand that the common Dryer Sheets has silicone on it. I don't let a rag that has gone through the dryer get into my shop. Maybe its different for a fabric aircraft, Or different for Polyfiber which uses a chemical bond.

Kardiff, what’s your plane painted with? What’s on it should make a difference in what you put on it. My planes are painted in catalyzed polyurethane. No wax. A few drops od Dawn in a pail of water work great to presoak bugs and to wash the plane. The newer Dawn Platinum trigger spray stuff is amazing on grease and oil, and I’d expect it to be amazing on bugs, too. My favorite new tool for airplane maintenance.

Kardiff, what’s your plane painted with? What’s on it should make a difference in what you put on it. My planes are painted in catalyzed polyurethane. No wax. A few drops od Dawn in a pail of water work great to presoak bugs and to wash the plane. The newer Dawn Platinum trigger spray stuff is amazing on grease and oil, and I’d expect it to be amazing on bugs, too. My favorite new tool for airplane maintenance.

I love the dawn trigger thing. It got some stains off that I haven’t been able to get off with anything else I felt was safe. Good enough for baby ducks covered in oil right?!

The trigger stuff uses sodium laureth sulphate, not the same sulpheric acid stuff that regular Dawn uses. SES in non-corrosive. It’s like health food for airplanes!

It’s amazing on oil drips (and spills!) on the ramp.

I been using solvent on the belly of my planes for years for removing the oil, guess its the farmer in me that says works on every thing else why not the plane.

Kardiff, what’s your plane painted with? What’s on it should make a difference in what you put on it.

Good question. I had to look it up.

According to logs: "Used Poly-Fiber medium 5 polyester cloth through standard build up final color is Aero-thane #105 Insignia White and #191 Pontiac Red."

Does that give us the answer we seek?

Catalyzed polyurethane. Typical car wash products work well. I use Dawn because I always have it in the kitchen. If you have lots of minerals in your water you might like one of the automotive car wash products that has the sheeting additive like commercial car washes use. You'll get fewer spots.

I seldom wash my plane but when I do I use Oil Eater. Mike is correct it can and does effect the paint. But it works good for getting a years worth of oil and dirt off the gear fittings so I can do a good inspection. The trick is to pre wet the area then spray a diluted mixture, use a soft brush or rags to clean and rinse off before anything drys. It also can effect aluminum so when I wash the engine I use the same procedure, wet, spray rinse. I used Old English Furniture Polish on my Pacer back in the day and It really make the Pontiac red shine, all four shades of it. I won a gallon of plane wash soap (don't remember what kind) and it worked ok. Simple Green did not work well on my gear/belly when it came to cleaning off all the exhaust stain. Dawn dish soap is a great safe choice. DENNY

I've read it is not safe to use dawn on your car because it removes the wax.

but it's safe on plane? I guess plane doesn't have wax?

The trigger stuff uses sodium laureth sulphate, not the same sulpheric acid stuff that regular Dawn uses. SES in non-corrosive. It’s like health food for airplanes!

It’s amazing on oil drips (and spills!) on the ramp.

Those using Trigger - do you have to wipe off with anything else? I have been using ArmorAll ammonia free glass cleaner on everything.

I've read it is not safe to use dawn on your car because it removes the wax.

but it's safe on plane? I guess plane doesn't have wax?
Some pilots do wax the plane. As mentioned be careful with that because if you need to repair/touch up a section wax/silicone can cause problems with the paint. No real right or wrong just let you IA know if you do wax or use a silicone product. DENNY

Back