• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Changing an N Number

AlaskaJack

Alaska
Has anyone gone through the process of changing an N number? Would like to do it soon. Just wondering how long it might take and any tips to get through the process with minimum headaches.

This is going back a few years. I recall reserving a "special N-number"

a fee of course

then activating it through ANC FSDO. A new airworthiness and registration will be issued (temp for the registration so flights through Canada might be out). I believe the process was 2 months, but I wasn't in a terrible hurry.

good luck

kris

First you have to reserve the number you want on the plane. This can be done online at the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch web site. Cost is $10.

Once you have the number reserved, you have to contact the Registration Branch and tell them that you want to apply that number to an existing airplane. They'll send you a form that you'll need in order to make the change.

After getting the form from Registration, you need to mark the aircraft with the new number, then have an FAA FSDO inspector come and inspect the number, at which time he/she will issue you a new airworthiness certificate reflecting the new number. You will surrender the old airworthiness certificate to the FSDO inspector at that time.

To complete the process, you send one copy of the form back to the Aircraft Registration Branch to complete the process. (The FAA inspector will send a copy of the new airworthiness certificate in as well.)

The web site for reserving the N number is:

http://162.58.35.241/e.gov/NN/resreqform.asp

The number to call when you need to start the process is (866) 704-4715.

Good luck!

Joe

I just received my new number Monday and all told it took about a month. Joe is pretty much right on but you can even cut a step or two.

For what it is worth these were my steps, pretty painless:

1. Check the FAA website for number availability, if the number is available do not reserve it.

2. There isn't a form to actually request the number so write a letter asking them to both reserve the number and to issue you the number, send a check for $20

3. Wait 3 weeks

4. you will receive Form 8505 authorizing you to place the new number
on the aircraft. Send one copy back to FAA.

5. I called Helena FSDO and they had me send the other copy of the 8505
and a copy of my airworthiness to them and they will issue a new airworthiness cert.

This is how mine went for what it is worth.

bob

bigsky said:
I called Helena FSDO and they had me send the other copy of the 8505 and a copy of my airworthiness to them and they will issue a new airworthiness cert.

Interesting. That is NOT how they are supposed to do it. They are supposed to physically exchange the airworthiness certificate so as to insure that there are not two airworthiness certificates for the same airplane in the field. They are not supposed to do it via mail, and definitely not with a copy of the certificate.

Just one more example of "your FAA is not the same as my FAA, and they are not the same as FAA HQ either"!

Joe

Joe,

follow up, they do want the orig air worthiness back, FSDO said to mail the orig back to Helena when I received the new one with the new n number.

bob

I won't say a word!! :) They are supposed to make the exchange in person so that there is no time when two airworthiness certificates are in the field for the same airplane. However, if they're willing to give you the new one before you send them the old one, go for it!

Joe

You made me nervous that I didn't have a new airwortiness cert so I checked and I do have both it and the Registration revised. The IA that repainted the numbers just sent the completed form from Ok City to the St Louis FSDO after changing the numbers and Ok City returned both the new C of A and Registration to me.

jmkota said:
You made me nervous that I didn't have a new airwortiness cert so I checked and I do have both it and the Registration revised. The IA that repainted the numbers just sent the completed form from Ok City to the St Louis FSDO after changing the numbers and Ok City returned both the new C of A and Registration to me.

Amazing! OKC should NEVER issue an airworthiness certificate. Are you sure the certificate didn't come from the FSDO and the registration from OKC? Something doesn't sound right with this.

Of course, none of that matters to you, since all you are worried about is having the correct documents, which you do. I've done a couple of annuals on airplanes that have had the N numbers changed and found that the airworthiness certificate didn't match the new number. In one case the registration had been updated and in the other it had not. Both of these had been flying for several years (and getting annualed too) without anyone catching the discrepancy.

Cheers!

Joe

It could be that the C of A came from the FSDO, I didn't really check. Like you said, as long as I have it, its ok by me. Regardless where it came from, it is legal, right? I really don't remember the time line or if they came at the same time or not.

Jack

Joe,

I was waiting for the N number change process to head south after you explained the process, but in today's mail I received my new aw cert and I still have the old one in my other hand. Helena FSDO sent a letter asking me to return the old aw cert to them by mail. I guess I just count myself lucky that the n number change went that smooth.

bob

bigsky said:
I guess I just count myself lucky that the n number change went that smooth.

Hi Bob,

Hey, whatever works for them works for you, right?? They are definitely not doing things according to their guidance, but that's not your problem. Good deal!

The process usually goes smoothly, as it's not really a big deal. It's just that they're not supposed to allow two airworthiness certificates to exist in the field for the same aircraft. They're just trusting that you'll send the old one in instead of actually meeting you someplace to make the exchange. So much for FAA national policy!! <grin>

Joe

Back