• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Replacing plastic site tubes - what's involved?

Speedo

FOUNDER
TN
The site tubes in my plane are discolored, and I plan to replace them. I've got the Atlee Dodge 30.5 gallon tanks with plastic tubes. What's the process for removing the old tubes and installing the replacements?

I'm guessing that I'll want to get the tanks as close to empty as I can, and that I'll want to raise one wheel in order to get the fuel in the opposite tank to move away from the bottom part of the tube. Any other steps, special tools, prayers or incantations to Murphy, etc?

Eric

All you need to do is drain each tank threw the gascolator, remove the wing root fairngs top and bottom and remove the tubes, there will be a small amount of fuel trapped in the bottom of the tubes, I have removed mine, when there is about 1/2" to 3/4" showing in the tube your empty and they where starting to discolor, I went back to the old sight glass. I'm selling them for half price if your interested.

DW

Yep, DW is right.
The proper procedure is to select each tank separately to drain thru the gascolator. Before you start to drain, either move the plane outside or attach a positive ground wire to it.
After draining, remove the wing fairings and unscrew the clamps holding to tubes to the tanks. Pull the tubes thru the inside wing fairings, carry them to the closest trash can and discard them. They are a piece of crap. If you get 2 years use with 100LL without them discoloring, your lucky. $70 bucks for 2 years for a site gauge is a bit much for me.
Buy a couple Dakota Cub gauges or Piper replacements.
It's a good idea, just crappy material.

draining is best...

but if tanks are not full you can clamp off bottom sight gage hose from tank with a pair of long nose vise-grips and then change Gage... be careful not to crush a fitting.............. but it works well....

draining is best...

but if tanks are not full you can clamp off bottom sight gage hose from tank with a pair of long nose vise-grips and then change Gage... be careful not to crush a fitting.............. but it works well....

Back