• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

[b]EXTENDING BATTERY LIFE IN YOUR GARMIN 195[/b]

PA12driver

Battle Ground, WA
Say folks I was turned on to a trick that I thought others might use!

If any of you have a "hard wired" mount for your Garmin 195map GPS and have found that when you shut down your plan, (turn the 12v bus off) that the 195 goes automatically to "battery power"??

This became so aggrevating to me that I just let the batteries go dead and figured I would have to always have "exta's" under the seat!

Well I was visiting at an airport the other day when I notice a "piece of plastic 'like static bag plastic" sticking out of the area between the mount and the GPS in a fellows' LongEZ. When I inquired he informed me that this was his trick to solve the above problem, when and if you needed the battery power you just pull the plastic sheet out that covers the 12V pins on the mount!!

Wow, why didn't I think of that!!??

PA12:

Good idea, the 196 will shut down automatically when you turn of the 12V power after a certain number of seconds, and I thought the 195 would do this also. I will check out my 195 and verify, but the 196 does a sweet job of this. Buy more raffle tickets! :wink:

sj

Steve,

It must be a 'software glitch by Garmin? I wrote them a letter about it but got no response? All of the other Garmin I have used do just what you said? (except for the 195)

I will most likely just send you a check for to use to enhance the site cause I already have won the 196. But until you have time (break away from flying that 170/cub, will you please let me know how "imediate and smooth" the VSI, TB and Altimeter is on my 196? I would like to start stripping the old fashion junk out of my cub, I will then be ready to set up my new GPS when it arives in the mail?

Tim

There was an article in either aviation consumer or IFR recently that took the 196 and flew it "under the hood". While not perfect, it go the job done - just don't run out of batteries...

Back