• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What is it?? Where is the diagram??

Msbm4220

SPONSOR
My Pa-18 fuse shows evidence of the piece of channel at the trailing edge of the wing roots being cut off. Maybe this was a previous owners mod for pstol flaps or another flap mod. I’m not thinking my mission will necessitate the $8500 for pstol flaps.

I’m looking for the drawing showing this piece with dimensions and location. If anyone has insight, let me know.

what are other options??

much thanks

-MB

Last flaps were probably extended inboard. If you have the flaps, or can extend the new ones, and aren't overly concerned about how to address the paper trail, it's worthy. If not, weld in a new stub and drive on.
Take care, Rob

I believe I found it….
dwg 12446.. I can’t access a clean pdf on my phone at tge moment but I believe that’s it.
mean across old thread yesterday stating that they extended inboard flaps (not pstol) weren’t necessarily a good move.

will grab existing flaps to evaluate options…

thanks always
-MB

Attachments

• IMG_4077.jpg
    IMG_4077.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 86
If its an option for you I think extending your flaps inboard would add value to the plane. Its easy to do at rebuild and opens up options for pstol flaps in the future. I suspect the same people that think the original 90hp supercub with no flaps is the best performing cub ever made are the same that dont like the extended flaps :)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

This might be a good opportunity for a discussion of the pros and cons of extending the flaps inboard and may help MB with his decision. Perhaps those who have operated a Cub with both configurations could explain exactly what they noticed the difference to be? Just "they are better" or "everyone does it" is not an answer.

The flaps on my Cub are double the length of a Stock Cub with the inboard extension. (The only way I've flown it.) I've found by taping yarn to the flap trailing edge that when the flaps are at maximum deflection there is a considerable amount of turbulence generated by the flap section which is within the propwash. The section outboard of the propwash has no turbulence at all. My Cub has no noticeable tail shake regardless of power or flap position. I suspect that the tail shake which has been reported is due to the air flow around the outboard end of the stock length flaps.

Without any testing, I can see where extending the flaps inboard may reduce tail shake by trapping the turbulent air which would normally flow around the inboard end. Strictly a guess on my part.

I would install the wings, flaps and rig. Then locate the trailing edge wing root attachment and weld it on.

If you are going to extend the flaps inboard with Piper flaps you will need the STC from Charlie Center. Requires modification of the wing root fairings and extension of the flaps. Or you can spend the money on the P-STOL Flaps.

I changed mine (had it done) from stock to extended inward twice (PA-18A/PA-11). Once paid for it's got to be good, or at least it didn't perform worse (for lift and drag). On a repeated over 10 years 15* descent over terrain onto a 600' ski strip with full flaps the extended felt as if it had more lift (and maybe drag), so required some more nose down to maintain the descent angle and 40 indicated with VG's back to back vs stock. No tail buffet detected in all modes. No stall during flare. Lots more air blown past door seals into cockpit with full flaps vs stock. All I can recall.

Gary

As with all things aviation, first honestly and accurately assess the mission, then the mod, part, a/c etc, then your own ability to fit those parameters.

People say funny things. Often what they say, and what they really mean does not quite line up. When someone says 'those really don't do much' what they usually mean is "I can't tell the difference", another often used mal alignment is 'those are not good' this often means " those add an attribute I am not comfortable with".

Furthermore, looking at some of the old threads (really old) that speak of inboarded flaps, it is important to note that they are just that... OLD. There are things that stand the test of time, as an example, in 1980 pulling back on the stick did the same thing as today.
But then there are examples that morph over time. For example, even up till 20 years ago, an O-360 cub just never would fly as sweet as a lighter O-320 cub. Haul a better load? yep, but for the simple fact that the only decent approved prop was the proverbial boat anchor at a station that was difficult to compensate for, they just didn't have a great feel. Today with all the uber light engine components and new prop choices, that situation has largely been diminished.

It sounds like you are in a position to either weld on a fuselage, or not. You didn't indicate whether you have flaps, or not, and if so whether they're extended or not.

I have flown the exact same cub for 10+/- years with stock flaps, and then another 10+/- with them inboarded. My experience is that they do just about what you'd expect adding another 7-8% of flaps to do.

The next time someone suggests that they don't do much, look over their airplane. With any luck one of their flight controls will have a 'trim tab', if so walk over and give one a sharp tweak for about a 1/2" and then plug your ears :lol:. When they regain their composure, explain that since they didn't see almost a square foot of added flap making any difference, you didn't see how a ity bity tweak could do any bad :lol:

My experience has been that most people that don't see any benefit, don't see it because they don't need it. They're fine and happy landing a touch faster or a touch tail lower.

As for the comments of negative attributes, I have not experienced any. My best guess there is once again what someone is saying is not jiving with what they really mean. Let me translate :lol:....
He said; "They make it fly poorly"
What he meant was; "I don't like how an airplane feels when it's all slowed up, and these let it fly slower" :lol: :roll: :lol:

Net Net, were it me (and it has been before, and will be again) I would not go out of my way to make an inferior wing. I certainly would not go through the effort to do it to a fresh cub I just bought with stock flaps, but the amount of work to do it when you are building up from a project is even less than negligible.

Lastly, mission frequently includes aesthetics, and that is a personal and valid point.

Take care, Rob

Way back before internet, smart phones and all the other things that could get you into trouble, I remember someone simply adding a plate to the bottom of the flap that extended to the fuselage rather than go thru all the trouble of modifying the fuselage, fairings and flaps. Seems it made a whale of a differnece to the flap characteristics.

Way back before internet, smart phones and all the other things that could get you into trouble, I remember someone simply adding a plate to the bottom of the flap that extended to the fuselage rather than go thru all the trouble of modifying the fuselage, fairings and flaps. Seems it made a whale of a differnece to the flap characteristics.

I know that guy and have a picture somewhere.

I know that guy and have a picture somewhere.
Is this the guy?
image.php

Very clever.

Back