• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

wag aero elevator materials

wadecalvin

Oregon
Any of you experimental guys know if all of the elevator parts on a wag aero super sport are 4130 or mild steel - I'm assuming all the tubing, ribs, and bow like parts are all 4130. correct?

Thanks

The originals were 1025 mild, I believe, but doubt you will find it easily available.

4130 is readily available and a known entity.

Why do you ask?

drew said:
The originals were 1025 mild, I believe, but doubt you will find it easily available.

Why do you ask?

I have a messed up right elevator that needs welded and a splice or two- needed to know what material to get for the welder if he can fix without replacing the entire elevator- I took the cover off- its a pma'd part for a supercub by wag aero

Thanks

I am just finishing up my tail feathers for my 2+2/Pa14. I decided against the Wag kit due to cost; I think about $1200 or so. I bought the materials and made everything myself for about $300 or so. Rudder and Fin were pretty easy. That said, the leading edge of the stab was a tricky part to make. Once I figured out how to bend the tube, it was doable (after three unsuccessful tries with different methods). I was unable to swage the ends so I welded a sleeve and built the trim link and through tube larger to fit. So, if you can get the leading edge tubes for the stabs pre bent and swaged to the right size and you can bend the ribs the rest is not too bad ..... but a lot of time. If you take a look at www.supercubproject.com Christian bought some of his tail parts from wag and welded up them up. Christian also has a pattern for a hinge welding jig that works great.

Marty57

wadecalvin said:
drew said:

Why do you ask?

I have a messed up right elevator that needs welded and a splice or two- needed to know what material to get for the welder if he can fix without replacing the entire elevator- I took the cover off- its a pma'd part for a supercub by wag aero

Thanks

Boy, I can't believe that Wag Aero used any 1025.

Drew

Back