• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thinking of building a WAG AERO SPORT TRAINER

samgandy said:
I am thinking of building a Wag Aero Sport Trainer and looking for advise. Does anyone know if this is a good kit plane? Are the plans any good? Is Wag Aero helpful? I love the J3 and have always wanted one. I hope to be able to use it for fun flying and to be able to teach my two sons to fly in it.

I am also wondering if I am going to fit OK in the finished airplane. I am 6'3" and weigh in at 240lbs.

I want to start on some smaller parts first since I do not have much space, maybe the rudder or elevators, can a experienced builder tell me if this is possible. I am going to buy the plans soon from WAG but so far have purchased nothing. Thanks for any help you can give.

Does anyone know a good finished plane estimate? I have seen from 10K to 40K.

If I were looking to build something along the lines of a PA-11 / J3 I would seriously consider a Legend Cub kit. Legend calls their kit "Texas Sport". You can buy it in stages as money comes available and finish it the way you like. You can build it to LSA standards (1320 GW) or experimental with a 1600 lb gross weight. With a Jabiru 3300A engine (120 hp) it should come in at around 800 lbs empty giving you an 800 lb. useful load (exp. class).

http://www.legend.aero/news.asp?id=44

Feed back from Legend Cub owners so far has been very positive as far as business dealings and product quality. Also if you ever decide to sell it, a Texas Sport (Legend Cub kit) will have more market appeal and demand a higher price then the other kit you mentioned (IMHO).

The Texas Sport is also 3 inches wider then a Wag Aero Sport / J-3 / PA-18 so it might be easier to get in and out of for a big guy like yourself.

Crash

http://www.txsport.aero/ordering.asp

Hi All,

I was looking to get the LMA Super Cub plans for construction with wood. However, I can't seem to get in contact with anyone who can sell them to me. Does anyone on here have contact information for this?

The company went out of business in 2010. Wicks sells the LMA J3 Cub kit. How about building a wood Super Cub wing with wood flaps and wood ailerons and hanging them on a stock 4130 construction fuselage? My 2+2 wing is built exactly that way. I have drawings on my web site for the wood flaps, ailerons and all changes needed to the Wag 2+2 wood wing to match the Super Cub including using stock SC flap hardware. Just an idea.
Marty

Back