• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Verner Radial?

I have been running the 0360 Lycoming since mid summer. For float flying and short field work it does everything I could ask for wish I had done it years ago.

Tried and true… I honestly really like the idea of picking up a midtime 0360, learning to fly the airframe and not have to think or worry about an engine. Time comes for overhaul, turn it up…

Tried and true… I honestly really like the idea of picking up a midtime 0360, learning to fly the airframe and not have to think or worry about an engine. Time comes for overhaul, turn it up…
Since you are not in a rush, get your name in with some nearby salvage yards for an 0-360. Sometimes some good undamaged engines are on demolished airframes.
Long ago I used to retrieve and haul haul wrecks which my boss bought from the insurance companies. He used to pay what he felt the engine and radios were worth. All the rest was gravy. Sometimes they were easy rebuilds, other times not much more than parts.

Not opposed to that at all, honestly one of my top options. The Verner is just also a super cool option and for the same cost of about a midtime 0360. The verner also puts in some admirable performance figures that in some ways might make it a better option than an 0360. The 0360 is definitely the easy play, but the Verner would be the cool play.

Yup! My seaplane Cub has a IO-360 (180hp) which I had on hand long before I ordered the kit. It's great. If I had no engine, that Verner sure would be tempting for the wow factor. Sort of a pocket sized Beaver. 8)

Nice way to slip in the Beaver ;) I was wondering how long it would take for it to come up. For those who have Beaver experience, do you have to pull through those engines? Is tho Verner a comparable experience to say a Beaver, but pocket sized as Skywagon put?

When a radial engine is new and tight it MAY not need pulling through......but don't count on it. The residual oil inside the crankcase collects on all the parts and slowly settles to the bottom after shut down. Some of this oil accumulates on the lower cylinder walls and works it's way around the piston rings to settle in the cylinder head. If the exhaust valve is open....no big deal. If the intake valve is open...it flows into the intake only to be sucked back into the cylinder when the engine is turned over. When enough oil gathers in the cylinder head, it is not compressible. If the piston is coming up on compression, the oil will lock it with a good chance of bending something. If the piston is past TDC, nothing will happen. You see, it is a crap shoot. You may be lucky or maybe you're not. Always pull through a radial to ensure no large amounts of oil. Generally, this would only really be needed on the first flight of the day. Pull it through by hand only, so that you can feel any resistance. A starter could bend something. Big engines like R-2800s have clutches on their starters to prevent damage. Little engines don't.

Makes sense, so it’s a first flight of the day thing? Going bouncing around on river beds having some fun, going to some different strips. Shouldn’t have to pull it through every startup. Or could be safe and give it a turn. If it’s kinda like that, I wouldn’t be opposed to it :)

Last edited:
It all depends on how long it's been sitting. An hour or so, we never did pull through. Overnight, we always pull through. The Russian radials were absolute pigs about leak down. The problem is that most of the round engines still running, are well worn, unless they're being worked, and a whole bunch of wives tales have been perpetuated for the cool factor (like the ones that insist that it's going to leak oil no matter what). They DO take more maintenance, they DO need to be warmed and cooled properly, they DO have a few nuances that require some knowledge, but they're not as bad as most would like you to think. Talk to Steve Wolf about the Verner.. you'll get a very accurate opinion, with experience to back it.
John

Thanks John, that’s great information, I’ll for sure have to get in touch with Steve. In my head it doesn’t seem bad… A day of flying around various strips, gravel bars, or bouncing around different lakes in a day, shouldn’t have to worry too much but I’ve also not been around them. What’s your take on a radial reliability in the case of the simple Verner? I think the Verner is better than the Rotec as it’s a lot more simple. It would be open cowl for me, full cooling action, love that look, makes preflight inspection easier, the tight baron cowlings have about ruined me…

Yup, watched that a few times, good stuff. Word is there’s an 11S coming out before too long.

Brian Kelly has been flying an RV-8 with a VERNER engine here at Spruce Creek Fly-In Daytona Beach---scrapped the ROTEC---saw him flying yesterday---GOOD performance and sounds great---

Worse case, fly the Verner for 1000hrs lol get a Lycoming after lol. Comments like that really swing towards the Verner lol.

I recall jimboflying has a radial on a PA 12, and is going to put one on the PA14 project. I don’t recall the make.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The Rotec if I recall was tried by a few builders with negative results of the engine and the company support. I have no personal experience, so others mileage may vary.

(Was Oli at Australian Aircraft Kits)

Last edited:
Had 2 guys by me try Rotec Radials. Both were not satisfied with the advertised HP. Sent one engine back on warranty but new one was the same. They also had bad oil leaks on them

Glenn

The Warner if I recall was tried by a few builders with negative results of the engine and the company support. I have no personal experience, so others mileage may vary.

I think your talking about the Rotec?

Glenn

Is this Verner radial engine a new product?
I never heard of it before reading this thread.
Does anyone else remember the Rotec radial?
It was supposed to be the next hot / cool thing,
but I've very rarely seen them on flying airplanes.
Two guys at my airport tried the Rotec but were somewhat disappointed.

Late 90s, Verner 9S launched 2017. Pretty New. I’ve never heard good things about the Rotec other than it looked cool. I stumbled across the Verner while talking to Shane who just put one on his Patina Cub. Looked them up and seems to be positive experiences with them.

Verner gained some quiet traction with their smaller engines in replica flying machines. They built up to the 9 with steady feedback and progress. Only thing that I don’t like is recommended TBO times.

Ya, TBO is about my biggest question and dislike. But the cost is such that 1000hr tbo is almost doable. The question I have is what is rebuild cost? How real is that TBO number? Is it just because they don’t have many high time examples out there yet?

Verner gained some quiet traction with their smaller engines in replica flying machines. They built up to the 9 with steady feedback and progress. Only thing that I don’t like is recommended TBO times.
If their TBO times are half of a Lycoming's and their price is half of a Lycoming.....I don't see an issue. The cost per hour would be the same.
Also TBO engines times are not regulatory, unless being operated commercially. Many engines are overhauled based upon condition.

From everything I've gathered, talking to people who have them, Verner and Rotec are at the opposite ends of the dependability spectrum. I've yet to hear anybody complain about the Verner that has one, but I'm not in the loop on much anymore. Quite a few horror stories about the Rotec. That's why I said to get ahold of Steve, he's had both.
JH

What’s your take on a radial reliability in the case of the simple Verner? I think the Verner is better than the Rotec as it’s a lot more simple.

Right off the bat, it's not a geared engine, so the reliability goes way up in many ways. I wouldn't be at all worried about it, personally.
JH

Back