• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tricks, lifting eyes, gps ant, eyebrow fairing

mike mcs repair

chugiak AK
just thought I'd pass along my tricks for quickly doing very neat installs on eyebrow fairings

hopefully someone will get something from this and not make the ugly mistakes i did when I was learning many years ago....

first step, leave lifting eyes OFF wing for now.

do NOT buy premade eyebrow fairings they rarely fit your installation, instead paint two 6 X 24" pieces of aluminum.

then place a piece of tape on wing leading edge about where outboard edge of fairing will end up, make it nice and strait/square/perpendicular to wing like you want fairing to end up.....

now take a ruler and every so often measure and and mark a line to touch windshield, write distance next to line

after you finish, take tape off wing and transfer it to the pieces you made and painted above and plot those distances (minus the thickness of rubber piece, 3/8")

then connect points with lines and cut out

IMG_2303.jpg

paint to stripe color(if needed) before gluing on rubber with contact cement..

to do a nice garmin antenna install remove suction mount and cut a hole in fairing like this,

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

paint fairing if needed and mount.. then tape off & silicone
IMG_2313.jpg

Atlee lifting eyes are fun unless you do it this way...

leave them off, install the eyebrow faring drilling & screwing the top side at least....

remove fairing.

install lifting eye.

then make a paper and tape pattern, starting by putting paper over where fairing will be and poking through at the screw holes you just drilled.
IMG_2312.jpg

take this paper template off once you are happy with it and screw it to the faring using the screw holes... and mark where to cut opening for lifting eye.

sorry forgot to take picture of finished product.....

Last edited:
Thanks Mike for sharing! I am not to this point yet, but I have saved these tips. I thought the GPS antenna was just going to sit on top of the panel area but this takes away the clutter. Kudos!!

Eyebrow fairings and lifting eyes

Awsome work Mike. You are a true craftsman. Any pictures of the whole project? Is this the -12?

Awsome work Mike. You are a true craftsman. Any pictures of the whole project? Is this the -12?

Take a look at the relatively new post in Cafe Supercub forum regarding restoration from Chugiak.....aviation perfection in blue and white!

Back