• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Testing Bose vs DC Headset

KenyaCub

Kenya, Africa
Today I got to do a back to back test between the Bose headsets and the David Clarks noise cancelling.
I had them both in the cub and tried them one after another (and this is a loud cub).

Absolutely no comparison, the Davis Clarks were much quieter.
In my opinion they are much more comfortable too. And they are cheaper.
The Bose noise cancelling did not keep up on takeoff.

The only better thing about the Bose, was the sound quality. It was slightly better. But not much.

I played music through both and can't say there is much difference.

I think the Bose might be nice in a quiet airplane, but in a cub DC's are the way to go. Durability of the DC's are superior to the Bose, and the way I use them in a cub that is important too.

yo

It is interesting you like the DC better, because I use both sets for work and think the Bose headset is much, much better.

In fact, in my opinion there is no comparison, the Bose headset is superior all around. I radio track animals (ie. listen for quiet beeps) in cubs and C185's and in my experience the Bose's AnR quality is superior, batteries last longer, is lighters, and is MUCH more comfortable (about half the price).

With that said, when it came time to purchase a headset I bought the DC because it's a nice headset and much more affordable.

To each their own!! :D

I tested both the DC and Bose, and then the Telex Stratus 50 in my Husky. Bose even sent me a pair of headsets with a higher clamping pressure. My experience was that the Bose was unable to keep up with the noise in the Husky. The DC would do better, but exhibited problems in cruise, depending on what way I turned my head.

I ended up with a pair of the Telex Stratus 50's and love them. The Stratus 50's also are very good, even in passive mode. When the batteries run out in your Bose, your toast, as they are then useless.

I think that a lot of headset function has to do with how they fit your head.

The DC definately have better passive. I got sold on the Telex units a couple of years ago at Oshkosh. I think that they are a great value. The are comfortable and good passive.

About what should a set of the Telex run? I have been using Light Speeds which are comfortable, but when the batteries die, you might as well take them off...

I have been a David Clark fan for a long time, but was a little disappointed with my noise canceling set (difficult to hear controllers some times...maybe it is the radio). I was very tempted to get a Boise or a Lightspeed (I like the phone adapter) but I just got word that a new David Clark will be out in Late July (X11). It's retail is higher ($799) than the previous, but it appears to have many of the features of both the Boise (Light Weight frame) and the Lightspeed (phone cord). Hope it turns out to be a good one, as I have had great service from my DC headsets and the company as well.

The Telex Stratus 50 will run you between 500 and 650. Also, the new version of the Stratus 50 has cellphone and music interface.

David Clarks...

Guys,
I have seen several threads on this forum before comparing various headsets. I for one will never part with a thousand dollars for a headset, so, no matter how good the Bose units are, I won't swing for them. I am using the David Clark headsets, and I'm completely satisfied with them. They are light, comfortable, and have good acoustics. If I'm satisfied with the DC's, why consider much more expensive units? I am not trying to start any flame war, this is just my 2c worth.

Mike

Mike, My Dad said the same thing. He was sitting in a 170B in my hanger and happened to try on a set of Bose headsets that were in the plane. He then had my Mom sit in it and try the Bose on. They both thought they were way more comfortable than the NC David Clarks they have had for several years. Christmas morning my Dad opened a pair of Bose head sets and so did my Mom. They fly a couple of hundred hours a year sometimes they are gone for three weeks at a time and spend most all day in their Clipper. Never thought i would see him spend the money but he did and is glad he did. I just wish I had $1K to spend on a pair. :lol:

I tried out the DC's, Bose, Telex etc on a Beaver.

I found the Telex Stratus 50's were the best - and the passive was also important for me. Price wasn't the big driver here, but they were a fair value.

The only problem is you have a lot of wire if you don't have on board power.

Great headsets.

I ran across a fellow with a hangar full of toys, including a Stearman, T-6, TBM (The turboprop), a 206, and a Husky. He made the comment that he had 3 different headsets for the airplanes because some work a lot better in some than others. I think he used Bose in a couple but I remember him saying that in the Stearman or T-6, they didn't do anything but did wonders in others. Best if you try any of them in your airplane and see what YOU think. Personally, my wife says that her Bose doesn't hurt after a couple of hours, so that makes us both happy....

Jack

Some intercoms work better with less expensive headsets. I use the DC H10-30 in the Cub with a PM 501 intercom, door open more or less all the time. Have tried noise cancelling - the system goes nuts.

Have a friend who seeks out the most expensive anything and purchases, assumption being that price determines quality. Bose, of course. I'm deaf, but I really cannot tell the difference.

I love this subject. It has been covered 100 times and still always generates many strong opinions.

I have the Bose and the Pilot ANR (el cheapo -$280 for the set). In my Stinson, which is loud, the cheapo Pilot pair works just as well if not better. However, the Bose is more comfortable on the nogin. If I had it to do again I would not have purchased the Bose, and would have bought 4 pairs of the Pilot for the price of the Bose.

headsets

Never cared for the battery powered noise cancelling headsets. I couldn't handle not hearing the normal(what I'm used to) sound of the 0-320 hummin' up front ! I 've got as set of Pilot -11's and an older DC, not much diff. Like them both. For me it's a matter of what I've gotten used to ! Tried the Light Speed and didn't like that at all. Made the cub sound like it had a hair dryer up front instead of the 0-320!

Reminds me - had a fancy headset on, but hadn't pushed the button for noise cancelling. Right seat C-195 as instructor. After liftoff, and really too low to do anything but land on the buildings in front of us, I pushed the button for noise cancelling and the engine quit! Well, at least it sounded like it quit! Kinda scary until I looked at the RPMs and realized we weren't going to die!

During one of my early flights with the Bose, I hit a bump so hard it knocked my headset off. It was so loud, and I was very disoriented, I was looking around trying to figure out which window we had popped out! I put my head set back on, and peeled the charts off the ceiling, and every thing was fine, exept for my sore neck and back for a few days.

Back