• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sulphur Creek will NOT be able to open for 2024

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
sulfur.jpg

Breaking news…. Sadly it seems Sulphur Creek will NOT be able to open for 2024. The damage was too great and repairs are challenging to say the least. It must be desperately hard work and disappointing for Kiere and ValDean.

I received this statement from Kiere.........

“The devastating landslides which obliterated our water and power source 19 months ago present two of the biggest obstacle in moving forward in any direction.
We have three hurdles to overcome before we can entertain a viable business strategy for the distant future.
1. Developing a permanent water source that will be stable will take another 3-8 years.
2. Strategically recreating, and funding, another power source so we're not 100% dependent on flying in fuel for a generator (an economic game changer in terms of being open as we once were).
3. Finding and affording hired help at post Covid wage rates (another economic spike in operating costs).

Currently, we have "temporary" water. The key word is temporary because it could completely change with one rainstorm or any amount of spring runoff.

We are in the process of reviewing options and cost with the upper management for an alternative power source. It's going to be a long and slow process. Therefore, I don't anticipate being available for lodging or breakfast for the upcoming 2024 season.

On a different note, there's less than a foot of snow at SCR presently...very unusual for this time of year.”

I'm sure you will all join me in wishing them all the very best in their endeavors.

Chris

They had 24/7 hydro power for many years I assume, PV would of course do the job but the initial investment would be probably higher then they care to spend. If their hydro setup was like others I 've seen in the back country, they were fairly crude and inefficent, at least bymodern standards, but it didn't matter as they had plenty of water and head pressure. One thing about PV is, the hassle factor is much less than hydro. Even with a self cleaning (mostly...) intake screen like I've had on mine for 16 years now, a small hydro system still takes a bit off fooling with. PV, none. I found it interesting that solar wasn't even mentioned, abundant hydro power has spoiled them! If they went with PV they'd also have to tighten up their energy budget, get more efficient in how they use the power, with hydro they could afford to waste a bit, I hope they pursue getting the hydro up again, there are ways to deal with sediment runoff, holding ponds etc., nothing beats falling water as an energy source for cost effectiveness. Mine is tiny, but it still puts out 900 watts 24/7 for 9 months out of the year, that adds up.

They had 24/7 hydro power for many years I assume, PV would of course do the job but the initial investment would be probably higher then they care to spend.
Yeah, I'm off-grid PV in Mexico and can't wait until I can get utility power. I just never want to be in the battery buying business again. Grid connected PV is great. If you live somewhere with net metering, it can be insanely great. But being off grid is expensive. Our single largest expense in our PV setup is the batteries and they are consumable. Ours have a lifetime of 5-7 years, and to get to seven, you have to treat them well. Hot temperatures and air conditioning do not treat them well. We are in year five of this battery bank and already having to supplement with generator power despite the PV panels producing an abundance of power. We're already down to putting 2kwh of juice into the batteries for every one we use over night.

I was off grid for about 26 years, because it would have cost so much to run lines to the property, that changed as more people built near me, but by than I was all geared up so just stayed off grid. When my runway got endangered I sold out, and it still cost about 9 K to get power in for the new owners. The new property is grid tied,1 watt in and I get 1 watt back, no matter how long it's in there, simple, all for 5 bucks a month, and like you I was glad to get away from batteries. People who think it's somehow cool to be off grid have never bought batteries. My utility is now my battery: one of infinite capacity (7,000 excess KWH stored there right now) 100% efficiency (no standby losses), that requires no room on site, and never wears out!

Reactions: rw2
Have either of you tried LiFePO4 instead of lead-acid? I'm not claiming they make batteries affordable, definitely cost more upfront than lead-acid, but claimed to last long enough to be cheaper in the long run. ...I'm grid tied and have no batteries.

Have either of you tried LiFePO4 instead of lead-acid? I'm not claiming they make batteries affordable, definitely cost more upfront than lead-acid, but claimed to last long enough to be cheaper in the long run. ...I'm grid tied and have no batteries.
Because I'm in a remote part of Mexico there is also a question of local knowledge/skills/parts availability to consider when doing pretty much any project. When I got my setup five years ago I'm not even sure if lithium iron phosphates were available, but buying something that people in the area knew probably would have pushed us into lead acid anyway.

The feds have a program now to electrify rural areas and we're pushing hard to get considered for it. Fingers crossed that my days of being off grid are numbered.

I have no batteries and don't want any. if the grid goes down, there are candles..., if it goes down long enough for the beer to get warm, it's Armageddon I guess and all bets are off anyway. When I WAS off grid, I was lucky enough to know the right people, (industrial plant maintenance guys) and get out of warranty, but still good enough, forklift batteries, for free the first couple times, for the scrap price once. This was way before these new types, which seem to be good, but expensive.

Back