• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

SPREADING ASHES Question

You may want to practice a few times with ash from a campfire or wood stove mixed with dry sand. I have found that with the front cap on I need to keep my speed up on the deployment pass. If you want a slow speed dispersal go with bigger holes in the front cap.

For sure, got plenty of stove ash already.

I had already mentally McGyvered something similar, but the RV dump valve was the missing link, I was going to something like it, but no need, thanks for the that tip.

While ordering the dump valve just now, I thought "why not get two?" Cheap enough, and some sort of fairlead should serve so that a single pull line activates both at the same time. I like the thought of the cremains being totally contained....., leading me to think I'll drop the device off at his brothers place, tell him to load it, and I'll pick it up later. That gives the brother a little final private time and removes me from having to deal with it.

Last edited:
Double valve - loaded tube - good idea. I used to dump fish (live) from a tank with a double valve set up (two part tank). Pull cables. The valves liked to be pulled quickly and fully.

Gary

Put in a couple - three brown paper lunch bags. Tape shut with a little masking tape. Pitch out the door. Bag hits tail, busts open, ashes spread. Don’t have to taste any of your old friend, MIL, etc.

Looks like I'll have a pro video guy friend along for the ride when it all comes together, that will be pretty cool, probably multiple cameras/POV's, he goes all out.

Put in a couple - three brown paper lunch bags. Tape shut with a little masking tape. Pitch out the door. Bag hits tail, busts open, ashes spread. Don’t have to taste any of your old friend, MIL, etc.

I got roped into doing an aerial scattering in about 2 weeks.
I don't want to spend a bunch of time building some sort of fancy ash-deployment unit for a one-shot deal like this.
I plan to do it gbflyer's way, except I'll leave the bag(s) folded up but untaped.
And have the right-seater throw the bag down hard to clear the airplane.
Apparently some of the ashes have been disposed of elsewhere so I'll only have a small amount to deal with.

Good luck with that..... A length of 3" PVC or ABS pipe, about 3' long, glue the RV valve thingies on it, and play with rope angles and lengths to see if it reliably deploys in flight, seems pretty simple to me! I may get fancy and glue a 3" to 4" bell reducer on the front end while I'm at it, just to increase the incoming airflow. Valves will be here in a few days, bet it won't take me an hour to cobble it up.

I have the ash deploying device ( I need to come up with a snappy term for it) on the plane and loaded with woodstove ash. Including small chunks of wood that will simulate bone fragments, unburned small bits. Test deployment tomorrow.

I have the ash deploying device ( I need to come up with a snappy term for it) on the plane and loaded with woodstove ash. Including small chunks of wood that will simulate bone fragments, unburned small bits. Test deployment tomorrow.

Excellent. I can't think of a better way to respect the newly departed than fulfilling their wishes...if it involves aerial deployment. A good life and a good ending. Please take pics.

Term: Bud-B-Gone? Not an easy choice. Make sure mine is over a lake full of hungry fish and an empty chair at the campfire. .

Gary

Last edited:
Got it done, Glen is gone! Since I had the chance to take a pro video guy up for the event, I did, a somewhat infamous one but he knows his video work for sure. I will post a link to the video when he gets it edited down. 3 or 4 cameras were involved, plus a drone.

Bottom line: we landed with an empty tube, and none of it came in the plane, not even close. This is what jury struts are for I guess. There was a little light powder on the back side of the rear valve, kind of like how a car's backside get's dirty, but the ejection of the main tube was 100%. Both valves were opened at once, and like in my fireplace ash test, there was a large initial event, then nothing, then a few minutes later another large POOF, with some minor streaming in between the two big poofs. We flew for another hour before landing, a nice day and just looking around, which just seemed like a good idea. As did dropping the nose and letting the speed build to a whole 96 mph indicated.

I already had in the shop's junk drawer, a 3 by 4" no hub adapter (the rubber type) so I stuck it on the front to serve two purposes: to act as a funnel for the ash insert, and to theoretically increase the aero push thru the tube, mostly because I had it already. After I safety wired the rear valve shut, I dropped it off at the deceased's place, with a note saying to let me know when it was loaded up, so easy/peasy on my part. I was a bit surprised of the weight involved, maybe 8 or 10 pounds? 145 pound person. Don't know if this will be on the video, but out of nowhere, when the moment came and I pulled the paracord bridle, I said "sayonara Glen!" All in all, it seemed like a better way to go then watching someone being lowered into a hole in the ground, in an expensive casket.

gate valve from the RV supply store on the front and the rear of the pvc tube, with two pieces of cord back to the cockpit. Open the leeward valve first to create vacuum.

Gave valves on amazon - common parts for your rv:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T10...ocphy=9028818&hvtargid=pla-448853001070&psc=1

Flange to connect to 3" PVC:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T10...c06fc&pd_rd_wg=EDLKX&pd_rd_i=B0006MRR9O&psc=1

A little glue for the pvc, som rubber and some 3" hose clamps to attach to your wing strut. $50 to build and a half hour and it's ready.

The proper RV terminology is "waste valve" I think. You are correct, closer to 50 than 20 bucks all up cost, as usual anything I buy via Amazon seems free. Exactly how I did it, so simple and effective, I couldn't see messing around any other way. I had everything already less the valves and adapters, didn't have to cut the ABS, or the paracord, both were perfect lengths right out of the junk drawer! TITAN straps, I already had also:https://titanstraps.com/, perfect for securing the pipe to the struts. No need for padding, just smooth plastic, and no movement. Tell you are kidding about using hose clamps?! I doubled up on the TITAN straps, 2 front and 2 back, just because I had 4 on hand.

I was going to play around and open the rear valve first, than the front, but when the time came I pulled both at once, either method would work fine would be my guess. Pilots with single strut or no strut airplanes are on their own....

Attachments

• Strut_Mount_3_PNG_1024x1024.jpg
    Strut_Mount_3_PNG_1024x1024.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 60
I was a bit surprised of the weight involved, maybe 8 or 10 pounds? 145 pound person.

I had a cousin who passed a few years back. He weighed north of 350 lbs. Same thing though, 8-10 lbs of ash. When his sons entered the room where the memorial was, one pointed to the mahogany box and asked his brother "Is that Dad?" "Yes" was the response. "Where is the rest of him?" Everyone in the room heard it and had a good chuckle.

Glad to hear it went well for you.

Last weekend I flew a scattering mission.
We put the ashes in a lightweight paper bag, then when we got to the scattering site & I'd slowed down to about 80 mph,
the son (sitting RH front seat in my 180) said a few words, grabbed his dad-in-a-bag,
then reached out the window & threw him straight down-- bag & all.
FWIW we were out over the salt water for this.
Total cost besides fuel was about 10 cents for the bag.

Yup, more than one way to get 'er done, cost really wasn't considered though, what the heck. Plus I'm telling all the local pilots I know it's available to borrow if the need arises. I have no plans at present to try it out myself, firsthand.

We put the ashes in a lightweight paper bag, then when we got to the scattering site & I'd slowed down to about 80 mph,
the son (sitting RH front seat in my 180) said a few words, grabbed his dad-in-a-bag,
That is basically the same I did with my Dad from the cockpit window of a Widgeon. No issues.

Jonas did a great job on the video, that's why I invited him along. Go to 6:20 for the good part, and to avoid seeing some old fart running his yapper. https://youtu.be/ImBmUF2099w The reaction from the non flying friends and family of the star of the show has been very positive.

Ya, we would take a legal envelope, seal and tape, idle power, slow down, close the window on one end of the envelope and apply power. Worked fine.

More to spreading remains then just dumping someone out without gritty teeth. A lot of times family members are at a place where your spreading their family member. You need to give them a satisfying looking display. If it comes out too slow it's hard to see, too fast and poof it's over. I've done about 10 and my friend Frank who's a grave digger has done over 50 in our Cubs. If it last about 4 or 5 seconds it looks the best to folks on the ground.

Glenn

It’s an individual thing. Those I’ve done weren’t observable from the ground and went just fine.

Back