• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Splice Flap Spar?

Gordon Misch

Toledo, Wa (KTDO)
I've been searcing 43.13 for information on splicing the spar in a PA18 flap, midway between the hinges. I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm relocating the inboard hinge from the PA14 location to the PA18 location, (it's an 18 flap that was previously modified to the 14 configuration) and would like to use new spar material due to some previously egged out rivet holes. Rather than replace the whole spar, I'd rather splice.

Anybody have good info on the procedure? I'm guessing that the splice configuration in the Crosswinds STOL kit' inboard flap extension is appropriate, but I don't KNOW that. I'd appreciate any guidance.

Not having my 43.13 in front of me, normal procedure would be to put a "U" shaped splice inside the spar and outside. Would give you somewhat of a lump in your leading edge. Not to hard to replace the spar.

If you can't find what you need in 43.13, Cessna has some good splice/patch info in their maint. manual.

Thank you, Gents - - I think it's about the same amount of work to replace the entire spar as to splice it in the middle, so I'll just take Steve's advice and replace it. Besides, a new spar is only about thirty bucks from Univair - PMA'd. Thanks again - -

Back