• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Short wing cub (exp)

49clipper

anybody here ever thought of building a cub with say Clipper wings (beefed up with more ribs) and taller gear and pressure cowl? Not for backcountry use per say, but just a fun all around aiplane. I seem to have the urge to build something (one off) and the Mono Cub from a few years ago keeps sticking in my mind.
thoughts?
Jim

There is an airplane like that at my airport. Built by a guy named Greg Karp. Pacer wings on a Cub fuselage with an o-290 on it. I have never flown it, but people who have say it flies "fine" what ever that means :D

It has been for sale for a while. I have no idea what he is asking.

Rich

Once you have flown a short wing with Cub ailerons those short Pacer ailerons won't do. :lol: Clipped winged PA11? A friend just finished one but I haven't gotten to fly it yet. I am working hard on my Clipper, much more fun than the Pacer I am flying now.

One of my friends recently installed a C-85 stroked with an O-200 crank on his clip-wing cub (dynos 97 hp). I fly a long-wing J-3 with an O-200. I was much impressed with how much I have to throttle back to allow him to stay with me in climb, I get off in about half the ground roll, and I have substantially shorter ground roll when landing. The clip-wing cubs are great airplanes, but I wouldn't think of them as an all-round plane.

Clipped Cub

Yea, I was thinking something like a clipped cub but with more mods to clean it up and more room in the front cockpit. thinking more like using 23012 airfoil for more speed and a clipper gear since its much cleaner than a cub. My clipper is a great airplane but I am thinking of the days when I become a sport pilot.
Jim

And Fowler flaps? There are some very friendly folks in Montana who have done all that. Or you could buy a Taylorcraft.

Like who in Montana?

Like to find someone who has done just that. Any names? No fowler flaps though. Too heavy.

There are 5 of us here in Saratoga NY that will partner in a Cub project that I have with an 0 200 and Colt wings. I have clipped the wings where the spar caps begin to taper and the web is removed. I have 38 inch or so spars pieces that will be grafted on with 6061 T6 aluminum angle. Also will add Hoehner tips. Should come up with a 30 foot span.
The ailerons are 72 inches--the Cub has 102 inches. We are probably going to extend them and add a third hinge. I have measured the tip bows which extend out 28 inches from the last full size rib on a standard Cub wing, the Pawnee, J4, and probably every other Piper rag wing. Looks like minus the Hoehner tips the last rib would be about 40 inches from the outboard end of the aileron.

These mods are described in Dave Blanton's V6 Ford conversion of a Tripacer.

I have been told by the Dart family in Mayville NY that have been building Cubs for years that Colt wings and an 0200 should be a real performer. Very positive control response and actually easier to fly than the long wing version.

You can rivet in a section of Piper spar to extend the wing just like a spar splice outside of the strut. I have seen that on a banner tow plane. I would deffinetly put the Cub/Clipper aileron on it.

I built an exp cubby and used tripacer wings with a 115 hp 0-235 and no electric system so it is light sport an the performance is more than I expected.

cubby with pa-22 wings.

Ken,
Just how is the performance? cruise, stall speed, etc.
js

Cruise is 100 mph at 2250 and 105-108 a2500. Stall is around 40 that is where my airspeed starts. Takeoff is short but havent measured it. Landing is also short extended flaps at 50 deg . Kenny

Back