• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rules Of Thumb- Please add to these

Some years ago when I went for my MEL checkride the examiner, after quizing me on the airplane, said something to the effect that "I just wrote a book on flying rules of thumb. Would you like to buy a copy?"
Yeah. pretty obvious!!. But it was well worth my getting my blood pressure up.
The book is "FLIGHT PLANNING SIMPLIFIED" An absolutely great book. Written by Jim Porter. If you can find a copy I recommend it. A wonderful compilation of the "easy" way to analyze a huge variety of situations.
And, yep, I passed the check ride!

I'm not much of a numbers guy.........WIT: Whatever It Takes..........And.....FLY THE DAMN AIRPLANE!

Last edited:
When trying to get it on/off the ground and things are going to heck in a hand basket, do what ever it takes to keep it straight. And, usually all else works itself out. My father always told us kids, "if your going to spread it out . .spread it out in a straight line". Seems the concentration on keeping it straight and not trying to think of several other "oh sh_ _", has saved my butt, and the cub, more than once. Larry C.

"Remember that it's only the theory of flight and that we are ruled by the laws of physics"

"pitch for airspeed - power for altitude"

"slow down to go down"

(meaning DON'T dive at the runway, pull the nose up, get the plane dirty, bleed off energy, and control the decent with power)

Jason

Last edited:
My instructor always tossed in "Slow down before you come down". I never really paid attention to what he meant in the cub where cruise to a 500 FPM decent was still in the green with the same throttle setting...Not so in the 180!

My instructor always tossed in "Slow down before you come down". I never really paid attention to what he meant in the cub where cruise to a 500 FPM decent was still in the green with the same throttle setting...Not so in the 180!

Now go fly a Bonanza (with a competent Bonanza Pilot) and try tipping the nose down a wee bit.

Or just move the seat forward one notch while in cruise and keep your hands off...

There are three useless things for a pilot:

1. The air space in your fuel tank.
2. The air space above you.
3. The runway behind you.

Glenn

Back