• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

SuperSport Cub Pilot Report

fencer Blu,

Sounds pretty darn cool. That plane must climb good, ride nice and handle great, even at 5,000 feet.

Bob Breeden

dave said:
Here is the photo.. nice looking cub! Do you want me to call Bill and get the tires ordered for you?

IMG_00241.JPG

That is an interesting looking prop. Who is the manufacturer? What material is it made with?

Fencer, sounds like your having fun, good luck with it. I tried to put a picture of your cub here in a post, but I couldn't get it to work.

Tim

video

you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZr-4y1EI8A

I posted some video on youtube of the SSC in level flight so those that are interested can see for themselves. This was shot 6500' with about a 5 mph tailwind so you can do the TAS calculations or just subtract about 5-8 off the garmin readings. For referance I start the run at 2200 RPM the book says that at 6000' 2250 equals 80 hp or 44% power so I would estimate I am at maybe 38-40% power in part 1.
I had to post it in two sections. In part two I go to full power but it quickly goes past red line so I dial it back to about 75% by throttle position and right under 2700 rpm.
I dont have a manifold pressure gauge and the book has no settings past 80 hp for cruise so i don't no for sure but its hard for me to belive i could be getting more than 75% power at 6500' with the throttle only 75% open.

This is with the 29" tires I Belive this reduced the cruise speed by 10-15 mph at the higher speeds.

On this day I was helping a friend look for some lost cattle. I spent 2.5 hours flying around at around 2000 rpm doing an average of 75-85 mph and used 9.4 gallons.

Blu

Fencer said:
Just thought I'd post an update now that I have 85 hours on the SSC.

I do have the 29" tires on it. I won't belabor the point they are way better, everyone that has ABW's knows this. Wish I had the 31"s now, well live and learn.

The engine is fully broken in now and oil consumption is very low ( execpt temporarly when a few of the rocker cover bolts worked loose)

I was pretty worried initially about the small fuel tanks. I would still like bigger ones but I am consitantly suprised by the low fuel burn.
It will do about 85 mph tas on 4 or less gal/hour. 5-5.5 gal/hour seems to get about 95-100 mph it will still drag itself up 125 mph or a little more with the 29" tires but thats really working it. I havent flown a trip at those speeds to test, (probably won't) but I would guess its might be as high as 10+ gallons per hour.
The fastest trip i have flown was at about 110-115 mph and that burned 7.5-8 gal/per hour.
I would point out that I live at 5000' so all these numbers are cruising in the 5-6.5K range except the one 110-115 mph trip that was at 10k on a very cold day.

Speaking of cold the heater just sucks, on a cold day the guy in front needs a good coat, decently warm boots and long johns to be comfortable and the guy in back pretty much needs artic exploration gear.

On the plus side the handling and fun factor just gets better everytime I fly it. I really understand now why you guys rip on everything noncub. Nothing i've ever flown comes even close to giving the feed back and just general confidece in flight.

Speaking of ripping on other planes I let Ladd a retired crop duster fly it. He has been wanting a cub for a while. Anyway his friend Steve who owns a 3 year old husky was there as well they both took a turn. Ladd ordered one about a week later. I havent talked to Steve but Ladd told me he has his husky up for sale and that he plans to order a SSC after he sells it. I did try to get Steve to take the husky out (I've never flown in one) but after some short field take off demos in the SSC he just grumbled it wasn't even close and refused.

I not sure how to post them in the forum but I did download a few pics with the bigger tires in a few off airport places to my profile.

One other comment its not really a complaint since I understand the reason why but the battery is just bearly powerful enough (its a little one like you put in a four wheeler) if it is cold it can't really crank the engine to any effect without being pretty thurly preheated.

I've been reading some of the old posts about Johnson Creek. I've got to say it looks like a great time. With any luck i'll be there this summer. I'm looking foward to meeting some of you and checking out all the planes expecially some of the experimentals you guys have.

Blu

Ladd retired at his young age and ordering a new Super Sport Cub? I knew I paid him too much money back in the 90's when he was spraying my onions.:D I see the strip at Mack Mesa is paved now, too.

gb

gbflyer said:
Ladd retired at his young age and ordering a new Super Sport Cub? I knew I paid him too much money back in the 90's when he was spraying my onions.:D I see the strip at Mack Mesa is paved now, too.

gb

He's an awfully good pilot. I don't think he's fully retired, just retired from crop dusting. I know he flyes a Meridian for a guy out of Grandjunction. He's been doing a lot of work out at Mack, building hangers and generally inproving the place a bunch.
I'm really looking forward to the two of us doing some back country flying together once his new plane arrives.

Landed at Alexander lake lodge on the Grand Mesa yesterday. The elevation there is 10,244 and it was pretty warm for winter right around 30F. The plane was moderatly loaded with almost full fuel 60 lbs of survival gear myself and my son.

The lake had about 4' of snow on it but the weekend snowmobilers had packed most of it pretty well. The take-off roll increased more than I expected for the altitude, I think this was a combination of the extra weight and even more the rolling resitance of the soft snow. I would estimate we used 500-600' of lake to get airborn and then only an initial climb of 300-400 ft/min until I got the flaps up and hit Vy.

I have read many accident reports caused by altitude and thought to myself " they should of known better". Still I think knowing a plane is going to lose some preformance and experiancing it are too different things. While I knew the plane would take longer to get airborn before I even added the power. I still found myself slightly suprised when it didn't leap into the air like it normally does. Made me appeciate how even a carful pilot could get suprised in the right conditions.

mvivion said:
Give Alaska Bushwheels a call. Their 26 inch Bush Wheels should be about perfect for that machine... They advertise on this forum.

MTV
If you are looking for a pair of 26" goodyear bush wheels I haven't advertised yet but I'm thinking of selling mine. They are in perfect condition and look brand new. I bought the plane last month and have the 8:50's on it already which I'm happy with. If I do put on different tires in the future I'd like to go with 29" Alaskan Bush Wheels. Let me know if you are interested.

Richard Deblack said:
mvivion said:
Give Alaska Bushwheels a call. Their 26 inch Bush Wheels should be about perfect for that machine... They advertise on this forum.

MTV
If you are looking for a pair of 26" goodyear bush wheels I haven't advertised yet but I'm thinking of selling mine. They are in perfect condition and look brand new. I bought the plane last month and have the 8:50's on it already which I'm happy with. If I do put on different tires in the future I'd like to go with 29" Alaskan Bush Wheels. Let me know if you are interested.

I have 29's on right now. Just my thoughts but i will go with 31's next time.

Tundra Tire Worksheet

jrussell said:
Call up the anchorage FSDO and ask them if they can send you a copy of the "tire worksheet". Fill that in with your 337 and put the tires on.

Sounds like a plan. I thought that FMD might have a data sheet of sorts that would help but it sounds like the calling Alaska will procure the data.

If you have not found a copy of the Tundra Tire Work Sheet, give me a call at work or email me at work and I can send you a copy of the one from FAA out of the Spokane office if you think that would help. You have to keep it in the records of the aircraft as part of the legal paperwork but it's only a one-page sheet. Give me a call at 509-248-1025 or email me vera@cubcrafters.com for a copy of it.

NEWS FLASH

Scot Warren and Dan Weathford will each have a Carbon Cub SS at the OK18 Taildragger Fly-in May 28-30 available for demo rides. Anyone interested be sure to attend, look them over and get a demo ride.

More info on the OK18 Taildragger Fly-in will be posted soon.

okmike

Back