• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Relief Valve Reset

Darrel Starr

Plymouth, MN
Thought you might want to see the results of taking two 0.063 inch thick washers out of the relief valve in the O-320 Lycoming in N18SY. Tim Hieb @ Bolduc Aviation, Minneapolis, said that two washers would equal a 10 psi reduction, I got an 11 psi reduction --- pretty accurate prediction. See attached before & after pictures. Ain't iPhones great?
In a previous thread, PerryB suggested that I should knock down the oil pressure to the middle of the green and I agreed but just now got around to making the change. I'll run it a while and into warm weather this way. I have one more washer I could remove.

Panel w text  before Resetting Oil Pres, Nov 2014, Text.jpg
Panel Mar 2, 2015,  07 Text.jpg

Attachments

• Panel w text  before Resetting Oil Pres, Nov 2014, Text.jpg
    Panel w text before Resetting Oil Pres, Nov 2014, Text.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 277
  • Panel Mar 2, 2015,  07 Text.jpg
    Panel Mar 2, 2015, 07 Text.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
I think you're right where you should be now. When that oil gets some hours on it and/or heats up more, the pressure will come down a few more psi. I was just looking at your airspeed vs. rpm. Are you running an 82-42?

Steve, that matches what I just saw - 5.5 psi/washer. Right in the middle of your observation range.

Back