• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

READY TO BE BUSTED? YOU BETTER BE!

Cajun Joe

GONE WEST
LS86 or Hammond, LA
Just when I thought I was completely ready to pass a ramp check I read the following in AOPA on line. This is impossible. Now I have to get a ruler and a calculator and check out the w/h ratios of my numbers or my insurance may be invalid since I am illegal.

FROM AOPA ONLINE:

For most fixed-wing aircraft, the marks must meet the following requirements:

Height: 12 inches
Width: two-thirds wide as they are high
The number "1" must be one-sixth as wide as high
Letters "M" and "W" may be as high as they are wide
Thickness: solid lines one-sixth as thick as the character is high
Spacing: no less than one-fourth of the character width
Uniformity: same height, width, thickness, and spacing on both sides of the aircraft.

Aircraft that had 2-inch markings displayed before November 1, 1981, and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft has been repainted, restored, or changed.
Antique/classic aircraft: Aircraft built at least 30 years ago, or an aircraft issued an experimental certificate under FAR 21.191(d) or (g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built that has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may display marks at least 2 inches high.

Cajun Joe said:
This is impossible. Now I have to get a ruler and a calculator and check out the w/h ratios of my numbers or my insurance may be invalid since I am illegal.

Your insurance will not be voided for having your N# located a few inches incorrectly or with the wrong font, size, etc. The FAA does not determine whether or not insurance will pay for a claim...only the insurance company has that authority. If the insurance company followed the FAR's to accept or deny claims, they would hardly ever have to pay out...think about how many times you have flown illegally over gross, out of CG, or VFR into IFR conditions. These type of things cause a lot of accidents and the insurance company still pays out each time.

If you had a structural modification that deemed the aircraft un-airworthy you may have a problem with insurance company if it was not disclosed to them up front. Again it is up to the insurance company to make that determination.

Whew...

Knowing now that the phrase "must be in compliance with Faa regulations..." in my policy has no meaning I will keep the numbers I have. I'm sure that includes picky ramp check guys too.

Well, away goes that calculator.

Err, did you guarantee that for me?

JL

What is the phrase "must be in compliance with FAA regulations..." in reference to? Is it in reference to airworthiness, flight operations, or all of the above. I would bet you 10 to 1 that if you asked the underwriter or claims adjuster they would all tell you what I mentioned in my previous post. It is ultimately up to your insurance company to determine the payout of a claim...of course they will not condone any actions contrary to the FAA, but that does not necessarily meant that it will cause a breech in coverage.

An insurance company would have a hard time defending their actions in court if they failed to pay a claim from an engine failure based on the fact that the N# was the wrong size or in the wrong location. Obviously the N# had nothing to do with the accident. The question would arise: Would the company have paid the claim had the N# technicality not been an issue, especially since it did not contribute to the loss?

I cannot guarantee it since this is America and although our court systems are great in theory, they still have their flaws. Check with your agent and/or underwriting company if you want a guarantee. You pay for their services so you have every right to ask questions about it.

Steve Pierce said:
Your good to go Joe. Your airplane was built 30 years ago.

Aircraft that had 2-inch markings displayed before November 1, 1981, and an aircraft manufactured after November 2, 1981, but before January 1, 1983, may display those marks until the aircraft has been repainted, restored, or changed
???

JL

If Joe's plane is over 30 years old, this part should apply"

"Antique/classic aircraft: Aircraft built at least 30 years ago, or an aircraft issued an experimental certificate under FAR 21.191(d) or (g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built that has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may display marks at least 2 inches high."

...Clyde Davis

Hey Clyde, Steve and Massey... Y'all are right. I had missed that 30
year thingee. 2007 - 1976 = 31 YIPPEEEEE

NEVER MIND

Mauleguy said:
One more reason to be experimental

Be careful with that one. Not every experimental qualifies for the 2" numbers, although I see a lot that don'tqualify, displaying 2" numbers.

Antique/classic aircraft: Aircraft built at least 30 years ago, or an aircraft issued an experimental certificate under FAR 21.191(d) or (g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built that has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago[ may display marks at least 2 inches high.

S2D said:
Mauleguy said:
One more reason to be experimental

Be careful with that one. Not every experimental qualifies for the 2" numbers, although I see a lot that don't qualify, displaying 2" numbers.

Most amateur-built and other experimental aircraft that don't qualify for 2 inch N numbers will qualify for 3 inch numbers, so there's no sense getting rapped around the axle worrying about the 2 inch thing. Only those experimental aircraft that have a maximum cruise speed of 180 knots or greater need 12 inch numbers, and even these will qualify for 2 inch numbers after the plane is 30 years old.

The most common infraction I run into when I'm doing certification inspections on experimental aircraft is not the height of the number, or even the thickness of the "stroke" (although I've run into a few who've had problems with that). It's the spacing. Almost everyone puts their numbers too close together. LOTS of aircraft have illegal N numbers due to too-close spacing of the characters.

Another problem we run into quite often is ornamentation and letter "font". The regulation says "Roman Capital", and also do not permit ornamentation. So these numbers you see that are ghosted over the aircraft trim, use a lower case "n" that happens to be the proper height, or incorporate stars and stripes or other decoration within the number itself, or in any other way "decorates" the N number or makes it blend into the paint job aren't acceptable. Oh, and one more thing that seems to be becoming more prevalent is tapering the N numbers. The reg says "uniform in size". But some people seem to think that starting with a 10 inch high N and ending with a 6 inch high number or letter at the other end of the N number looks cool. It might look cool, but you ain't gonna pass muster with the inspector.

The good news is, all but the newest Super Cubs qualify for 2 inch numbers, so as long as they're uniform in size, contrast with the background, are not ornamented, and are the proper thickness and spacing everything should be fine.

OK what are the regs for going into Canada? I have a 1950 rebuilt Super Cub with 2" numbers. I hear they want the bigger "N" numbers.

augerin said:
OK what are the regs for going into Canada?

Your 2 inch numbers are fine in Canada. The only thing to remember is, if you are going to fly through a coastal ADIZ you need 12 inch numbers. These can be applied temporarily with tape or vinyl decals. If you cross the border internally (i.e., not through an ADIZ) your 2 inch numbers are OK.

Joe

Back