• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Radio Problem question ICOM 210

flyinalaska

Anchorage, AK
I have an ICOM 210 and last night flying in to Lake Hood I could hear tower but they couldn't hear me. :agrue: Once I got to parking about 400 yds from the tower they could hear me again but they said it was really grainy. Does anyone have any experience with this? In the past I've had coms that worked or didn't work but not that could only be heard 400 yds away. (antenna issue?)

I was planning on going to the Valdez fly in but obviously need a working radio. I don't have any time off work before I leave so I was hoping (of course) that there might be some simple explanation. I was landing on some rough rocky strips before the radio issues. I don't know much about radio's so was hoping someone could tell me things to check/look for before I spend the money at a shop. Thanks in advance.

I know a GPS antenna will short out if a coax connector contacts the airframe. I can't say a radio antenna would do the same thing but that's where I'd start.

SB

Two thoughts...

Antena coax is coming apart or unhooked like no antenna hooked up(which is very bad for radio to try to transmit without antenna hooked up)

Ptt switch not making good connection, but that I would think is a works or not thing.....

Try different head set,

also try you main aux mic Jack not going through intercom or noise canceling units......

Also do you have some audio panel like mic select that got changed?

It was a problem with the Antenna/Cable. Thanks for the help I was able to fix it myself. The coax was loose out of the connector on the back of the radio. Makes me feel stupid for not checking that first. Learn for next time I guess. :drinking:

Back