• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pre-buy inspection in Northern MN

WWhunter

FRIEND
Near the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi Rive
Anyone know of an A&P in northern Minnesota that knows alot about Super Cubs? I have found one I am going to go and take a look at on Tuesday and would like to have a pre-buy inspection done on it. I was told by the owner that it does need to be recovered, but is still flyable. Original fabric and a 1976 model.

Thanks,
Keith

Lowell Miller, Miller A/C Services, Crookston, MN. He owns one, has two that he's rebuilding/recovering in his shop right now. Busy guy, though, but he travels also.

Give him a call...218 281 2625

MTV

Hey Keith,

Just when we thought you had the plane all setup the way to want it you go off sniffing around up north near the border for a different brand. Don't want to call you a turncoat or anything but have some faith in the ol' girl. The heat hasn't gotten to you has it? I have a buyer for you rather quickly if you want out. :D

Keith,

Talked to Lowell, and he knows a guy in Thief River Falls that used to run the A/P school over there, that does really good pre buys, and probably isn't as busy as Lowell. Lowell's hanging rag on a Cub right now.

Give Lowell a call, and he can probably get you set up one way or tother.

MTV

prebuy

WWhunter,Tom Carlson TNT Airworks in Hibbing dose a great job servicing mine.very knowledgeable and meticulous.many years experience in Alaska and Minnesota as a A&P/IA.

Mike,
The guys name in Theif River Falls wouldn't happen to be Walt, would it? If so He is a super guy. He has done the annual on the Champ for me the last two time. I hadn't even thought of him.

cubhunter,
Now this is getting funny. I hadn't thought of Tom either. He did my 172 when he was working in Park Rapids. He is very good....if it is the same Tom I am thinking of.

Eric,
LOL, Nah, not a turncoat and not getting rid of the Champ. Wanting to get rid of the 172 as soon as Zach gets his private. I am looking for something I can fly in and out of the farm while the Champ is on floats. Only thing is.....the SC I am going to look at is on floats also.

Thanks everyone I'll give a couple of these guys a call.

Butch at KGPZ or Andy at KBRD or the folks at Aitkin. I've used them all and would be confident with their opinions

Keith- I have heard that Butch in Grand Rapids is good also. A friend of mine with the same Stinson I have swears by his work. Glad to hear the 172 is going and not the superchamp. Depending where the plane is, John down at Skyharbor in Duluth has been good to me, and works on quite a bit of tube and fabric stuff. Jonathan Aero is the name of his shop. I have the # if you need it. He is building a PA-11 of his own so pretty familiar with where the problem spots are on the piper stuff. Russ

Russ,

Butch is the guy that put put the floats on the Champ for me. Super guy. I think I met your friend the night I went over to Grand Rapids to get the Champ. He has a brown Stinson?

The number for John would be great.

Thanks,
Keith

That would be Steve Chandler in the brown Stinson - 9298K, I took my first plane ride in that bird 35 years ago and it was 25 years old then, and its still running strong. How was the take off from the float pond in Grand Rapids? I here it can seem real short on a hot no-wind day. John in Duluth is 218-625-4108. He has been very honest and fair to me, I highly recommend him. If the plane is in his area I know he would give you an honest no BS opinion on its condition, and the costs to fix any problems. He's usually got the line on anything for sale in his area.

Tom _______ (can't recall his last name), opened up his shop in Hibbing a year ago. He was previously at Park Rapids Aviation for a couple of years, and was up in AK working on bush planes for several years. He is a good guy. Also, Jeff at Park Rapids Aviation knows cubs.

Good luck.

Randy

Russ,

Yes, Steve, he recognized your old Champ and told me you had gone with him in his Stinson when you were younger. I also just spoke to the owner of the SC and am going to look at it tomorrow. He stated that He already spoke with John in Duluth about the recovering if this particular SC and was quoted $21,000 plus any extras. He did state that one of the wing tip bows needed replacing.

Randy,

I know both Tom and Jeff. I have my 172 hangared in Park Rapids. I called Tom in Hibbing a few minutes ago and he has always been a very honest and knowledgable guy. Most of the guys in Park Rapids are more the 180/182/185 type. Jeff does work on Super Cubs, but there doesn't seem to be many brought in there except for the local guys that have them.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith:

Try also:

Weber's Aero Repair
Alexandria, Minnesota

320-763-4066

Ask for either Kevin or Gerry. They do the K-A Champ annuals and are very familiar with Cubs.

Jon B.

Back