• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Phase 1 Program updated to allow Task-Based flyoff rather than 40 hours.

Still nothing from AIR-630 to designees. No change until that comes through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not according to the EAA. The letter of deviation doesn’t cover that?

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

EAA presentation slide says "A deviation letter from AIR-630 is coming shortly, ..."

"Shortly" may have been discussed but I don't remember any date being given by the presenter.

I heard that there was something coming out today. AWC was down all afternoon, maybe they were updating the ops limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard that there was something coming out today. AWC was down all afternoon, maybe they were updating the ops limits.
Maybe they've been reading all the flak they've been getting here and figured they had better catch up? :evil:

Deviation letter came out on Friday. The new Op Limit will be
"No person may operate this aircraft for other than the purpose of meeting therequirements of § 91.319(b). The pilot in command must comply with § 91.305 at all
times. This aircraft is to be operated under VMC, day only. Unless operating in
accordance with the task-based flight test program described in Advisory Circular
(AC) 90-89C, Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook,
chapter 2, section 1, during Phase I flight testing, this aircraft must be operated for at
least _____ hours with at least_____ takeoffs and landings in this geographical area:
[The area must be described by radius, coordinates, navigational aids, and/or
landmarks. The size of the area and airports must be that required to safely conduct the
anticipated maneuvers and tests.] This aircraft may only operate from [identify name of
airport(s)]. (42)"

We can now issue the new op limit.

As quoted the new op limit does not require a geographical limit when using task based testing for phase 1. Was this intentional? It would be a very significant change.

"Unless operating in accordance with the task-based flight test program described in Advisory Circular
chapter 2, section 1, during Phase I flight testing, this aircraft must be operated for at
least _____ hours with at least_____ takeoffs and landings in this geographical area:"

As quoted the new op limit does not require a geographical limit when using task based testing for phase 1. Was this intentional? It would be a very significant change.

"Unless operating in accordance with the task-based flight test program described in Advisory Circular
least _____ hours with at least_____ takeoffs and landings in this geographical area:"

Good point, I have contacted FAA for clarification. I suspect they want the geographic restrictions to apply to any Phase 1 testing but that isn't haw it is written!

Good point, I have contacted FAA for clarification. I suspect they want the geographic restrictions to apply to any Phase 1 testing but that isn't haw it is written!

There is a paragraph in my operating limitiations that does not make any sense no matter how it is parsed. My DAR said it was directly from the FAA software and he could neither explain it nor change it. At least this amendment makes sense. Just probably not what they intended.

I expect most would like the geographic area to be unconstrained so don't rock the boat too hard!

The wording in AC 90-89C was unambiguous. Someone in FAA decided to revise the wording and completely changed the meaning.

"The limitation that authorizes the use of the task-based flight test plan is worded as, or worded similarly to, the following: All flights must be in this geographical area: [The area must be described byradius, coordinates, navigational aids, and/or landmarks. The size of the area and airports must be that required to safely conduct the anticipated maneuvers and tests.] Unless operating in accordance with the task-based flight test program described in Advisory Circular (AC) 90-89, Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook, chapter 2, section 1, during Phase I flight testing, this aircraft must be operated for at least _____ hours with at least_____ takeoffs and landings."

Last edited:
Back