• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Painted extended gear

aceherks

Middleville, NY
:howdy :onfire: Got my 31" tires and atlee 3" extended gear on today but I didn't cover the gear. Now the IA is having a problem with the 337 without covering the gear. Any good advise?

aceherks said:
:howdy :onfire: Got my 31" tires and atlee 3" extended gear on today but I didn't cover the gear. Now the IA is having a problem with the 337 without covering the gear. Any good advise?

Somehow I know I'm going to pay for this, but if the bare gear isn't approved under the STC and we know Piper didn't build the airplane with bare gear (so it doesn't meet it's type design without the cover), just get it field approved...

Over to you Mark...

Actually, the STC doesn't mention covering. Tell your IA that to cover it would require a 337.
SB

SB beat me to it. I was digging out the STC while you posted that. The STC for the gear says nothing about covering it, so you could make the same argument that you would need a field approval to install it covered, it you really want to get stupid about it.

There is also some info in AC's about uncovered gear, basically it boils down to the Fed's concluding it has no adverse effects on flight, and facilitates proper inspection.

Back