• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa12 wing tank Issue question

jeffpa12

Martinsburg WV
Hey guys,

I know this has probably be asked a hundered times, but I have a pa12 with the 18 gal wing tanks. About every two years I have to pull the righ tank and have it resoldered. I was wonddering if the Wag Aero tank would fix it better. My tank has the sight floats and wasn't sure if the Wag's accomodated that or not either. Any way thought I would ask if the new tank route works or just bite the bullet and keep resoldering the old one?

Thanks Jeffpa12

Hey guys,

I know this has probably be asked a hundered times, but I have a pa12 with the 18 gal wing tanks. About every two years I have to pull the righ tank and have it resoldered. I was wonddering if the Wag Aero tank would fix it better. My tank has the sight floats and wasn't sure if the Wag's accomodated that or not either. Any way thought I would ask if the new tank route works or just bite the bullet and keep resoldering the old one?

Thanks Jeffpa12

Get both sides and change over to pa18 style sight gauges. (Wing Root).
The original sight gauges will go right in if thats what you really want.

The original tanks will also trap water so for that reason alone it is advisable to switch to the new ones.

I installed the wag-aero tanks in my -14. From what I remember they ask you for the option of electric or exterior sight gauge. I went with the cub style gauges, I wouldn't recommend doing that unless your doing a rebuild, cause its a lot bigger pain then one would think. I am very happy with their product, they are well made and haven't leaked yet.

I put one of the wagaero ones in my 12 when I redid it, slipped right in, it was plumbed for the bottom sight gauge that I capped as I put in wing root gauges. It is 18 gallons not the original 19 gal that the plane came with.

the original tanks should been 17.5 gal per tank and the wag-aero should be 18 gal. should be gaining fuel actually.

Original tanks are 19 gal. In my case it was hard to tell 'cause they were always leaking somewhere despite frequent repairs. Finally installed wag tanks...no leaks. Sight guage is in the right place, sump drains not quite. The original poster will be happy when he makes the change.

I stand corrected. I was basing my info off the -14 which I thought had the same fuel system as the -12. But the type data sheet for the -12 does say "38 gallons (+23) (One 19 gallon tank in each wing.) So he should lose a little fuel.

I stand corrected. I was basing my info off the -14 which I thought had the same fuel system as the -12. But the type data sheet for the -12 does say "38 gallons (+23) (One 19 gallon tank in each wing.) So he should lose a little fuel.
darn i always figured they were both 19..... but you are right.. http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/64557fb2d803595185256739004e89bd/$FILE/A-797.pdf

wonder why piper thought to change that between the -12 and -14. I always thought aside from flaps that the wings were identical.

Thanks Guys for the advice,

I bought a Wag Aero tank, fits OK, only problem I didn't catch the vent in the old tank being SAE and in the new one it's MPT. So I stripped the first thread. It cleaned right up with the correct tap and I made the change in the barbed fitting to mpt into the tank on the new one. Now I'm just trying to get everything back together. I do think I'll let her set with fuel full up for 48 hours before I finish sealing it up though. It's a job.....

Back