• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Original PA-12 Data Plate Location

Mikey

FRIEND
Everett, WA
I've already researched the old threads on this site about this, but still have some questions.
I'm in the middle of trying to get a Restricted A/W cert for my -12, part of the process is convincing the FAA that it is the aircraft is the same one shown on the current paperwork. I found the airframe "s/n" tag tack welded to the overhead diagonal brace above the headliner and like most or all cubs that number doesn't match the s/n of record.
The guy w/ the TC in Vernon BC wants $300 to research factory build up records from 1947 and IF THEY MATCH, issue a new data plate. Before I do that, I want to make sure I'm not missing another existing data plate. So can you tell me where on the airframe Piper attached them? I've never had an official data plate on the exterior, just a generic tag w/ "N" & "s/n" that years ago I put on a inspection plate under the left side tailfeathers.
Any help appreciated,
Chris

You need to clarify a little more Mikey. Are you missing the original Data Plate (small rectangular piece of aluminum) usually on the baggage door?
The Airframe S/N plate (welded to the tubing) will be different. If you are just needing verification as to why they don't match, Clyde Smith only charges $10 for that info. If you don't have the Data Plate then you will probably have to shell out the $300 to BC just to appease them for the new plate. ( Hopefully that price includes the new plate.)

Not sure about the 12 but the 16 has the data tag fastened to the tube just behind the jackscrew with some welding rod that is fused to the tube.

Mikey,
My original 12 fuselage had the data plate attached to the wood baggage shelf behind the rear seat. It was in plain sight.
SB

Thanks guys,
TJ - The picture helps a lot, I've never seen one of those anywhere on my bird. It may have departed w/ some long ago rotted out floorboards.
I do have the welded fuselage s/n tag up in the headliner tubing, but all it has is a 4 digit number, nothing else. I may have to cough up another $300 and get the production data plate replacement from BC, but I will contact Clyde Smith first.
Does Clyde have copies of the factory build-up records that this guy in BC is going to use to cross ref. my fuselage tag # to the production s/n?
Thanks
Chris

Chris:
Heres your problem. If the production fuselage plate does not match Pipers record for the Plane Serial Number, you lose. You no longer own an Airplane.

Pretty grim.... that's why I'd like to know the answer before I ask the question. Hope Clyde Smith can help.
CD

Back