• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

The Twin Comanche is a great airplane which flew well with two 160 hp Lycos. Early in it's life there were a number of spin accidents which happened during single engine Vmc demonstrations. It is possible that some of the younger pilots and their instructors are not familiar with that characteristic. The following is a good review of the PA-30.
http://www.planecheck.com/twincom.htm

This is an excerpt from the article:
With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight we now know that no light twin, (except Cessna's 336/337) should be stalled with one engine dead. The wide distribution of weight in the engines and fuel has an aggravating affect under asymmetric thrust. Once the rudder has run out of effective control (below Vmc), a stall may quickly turn into an unrecoverable flat spin. At FAA recommended low altitudes, this was a great prescription for killing pilots in training and is exactly what happened. It led to the Twin Comanche acquiring a totally undeserved reputation.

In belated recognition of demonstrating the dangers of Vmc, the FAA responded in 1969 by a simple stroke of the pen, to increasing the PA-30's Vmc from 80 to 90 mph.

Date: 07-JUN-17
Time: 00:30:00Z
Regis#: N207RB
Aircraft Make: CESSNA
Aircraft Model: C207
Event Type: INCIDENT
Highest Injury: NONE
Aircraft Missing: No
No injuries when plane carrying 6 flips during beach landing at bear-viewing site

pencil Author: Chris Klint clock Updated: 5 hours ago calendar Published 1 day ago

Six people were unhurt Tuesday afternoon when their aircraft flipped on the same Cook Inlet beach where at least two other aircraft found themselves in trouble last year, according to crash investigators.

Clint Johnson, the National Transportation Safety Board's Alaska chief, said the NorthAir Inc. flight had taken off from Kenai and was landing on a beach in Chinitna Bay at about 4:30 p.m. The Cessna 207 was on a bear-watching trip at the time.

"On landing, (the plane) flipped over onto its back," Johnson said.

The bay is on the west side of Cook Inlet, across the inlet from Anchor Point.

Johnson said the flip occurred at the same site where a pair of Cessna 206s tipped onto their noses last July.

Damage: UNKNOWN
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT ON LANDING ON A BEACH, FLIPPED OVER, CHINITNA BAY, ALASKA

plane-12.jpgLast year at chinitna bay ooops.

Attachments

• plane-12.jpg
    plane-12.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 411

gonna take lots of seat rails pop riveted to the outside to ferry that one back out... I had one that the owner tried to turn back over without digging a whole for engine.. looked like that... plus both from spars broke/kinked near struts on bottom... just take snips and cut the skins near the crinkles...leave the stringers intact to get you your length right

Mike thats funny , I thought of saying to begin with just call Mike. lol. id like to see the front end and strut ends

It lost part of one blade. The investigation found a bullet hole through one of the blades at the break that had been filled in with bondo or something to conceal the damage. I don't remember all the details exactly but it was a bad deal.

A 22-year-old man died Thursday when the single-engine plane he was piloting crashed in Southwest Alaska, according to authorities.

The pilot, identified as Joel Black of Ohio, was the only person onboard the Cessna 206, according to a statement from Lake Clark National Park and Preserve.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the plane was operated by Regal Air and carrying freight.

It departed from the Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage and was headed for "a remote landing site in the Bristol Bay area," said Brice Banning, NTSB senior aircraft accident investigator.

Banning said Friday he did not have a more specific destination and did not yet have information on what time the plane left Anchorage.

A woman who answered the phone at Regal Air on Friday morning declined to comment.

Megan Richotte, public information officer with Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, said the plane was reported missing around 9:30 a.m. Thursday, when the Rescue Coordination Center said an emergency locator transmitter had activated inside of the vast national park.

Date: 23-JUL-17
Time: 19:05:00Z
Regis#: N4387A
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: PA18
Event Type: ACCIDENT
Damage: SUBSTANTIAL
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT ON LANDING GROUND LOOPED, STERLING, ALASKA

A 22-year-old man died Thursday when the single-engine plane he was piloting crashed in Southwest Alaska, according to authorities.

The pilot, identified as Joel Black of Ohio, was the only person onboard the Cessna 206, according to a statement from Lake Clark National Park and Preserve.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the plane was operated by Regal Air and carrying freight.

It departed from the Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage and was headed for "a remote landing site in the Bristol Bay area," said Brice Banning, NTSB senior aircraft accident investigator.

Banning said Friday he did not have a more specific destination and did not yet have information on what time the plane left Anchorage.

A woman who answered the phone at Regal Air on Friday morning declined to comment.

Megan Richotte, public information officer with Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, said the plane was reported missing around 9:30 a.m. Thursday, when the Rescue Coordination Center said an emergency locator transmitter had activated inside of the vast national park.

that day had a notam for military GPS jamming, but i think that was scheduled for later that day, and next???

I know Mike at Regal Air and he is a quality guy, runs a quality operation. They had a memorial service for this young man last night at Lake Hood and it was apparently a really sad, sad evening. Second hand info is that the aircraft burned at the crash site, but also someone saw the aircraft on fire on its way down.

I read One Zero Charlie, a good book, years ago about a pilot near Chicago, and in it he described a cabin fire. To this day the description gives me the willy's and I check those fuel lines often. I truly hope that is not what caused him to go down.

Randy

Sorta' strange event especially after reading the second links to testimony. Experienced pilot reportedly off the gauges in early morning darkness. Heavy plane and aft CG.

But I'll admit to having expectations for the usual twilight in late September-early October after a summer's perpetual daylight on floats and realizing it's going to be a dark flight at the end. Then if there's any cloud cover and no moon....

Being first to a fish hole isn't worth it.

Gary

I saw a low-wing plane that apparently veered off a gravel strip by Lake George. It had assistance when I flew over Saturday afternoon, so I did not land. Just not common to see this aircraft on gravel strips even in Alaska. Anybody know if the plane was flown out or needed helicopter assistance??

I saw a low-wing plane that apparently veered off a gravel strip by Lake George. It had assistance when I flew over Saturday afternoon, so I did not land. Just not common to see this aircraft on gravel strips even in Alaska. Anybody know if the plane was flown out or needed helicopter assistance??

out west AK there were lots of low wing aircraft... where the winds always blowing...

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 04-AUG-17
Time: 20:30:00Z
Regis#: N869KB
Aircraft Make: KITFOX
Aircraft Model: SUPER SPORT
Event Type: INCIDENT
Damage: MINOR
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT FORCE LANDED ON A SANDBAR NEAR CHICKALOON, ALASKA

02-AUG-17
Time: 06:52:00Z
Regis#: N9455C
Aircraft Make: CESSNA
Aircraft Model: 180
Event Type: ACCIDENT
Damage: SUBSTANTIAL
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT WAS THE SUBJECT OF AN ALNOT AND CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, WASILLA, AK.

Sorta' strange event especially after reading the second links to testimony. Experienced pilot reportedly off the gauges in early morning darkness. Heavy plane and aft CG.

But I'll admit to having expectations for the usual twilight in late September-early October after a summer's perpetual daylight on floats and realizing it's going to be a dark flight at the end. Then if there's any cloud cover and no moon....

Being first to a fish hole isn't worth it.

Gary

500 lbs over an 8,300 lb Gross- 6%. There used to be a 10% waiver in Alaska for these old birds, so the weight, and even the aft was NOT the issue. Another violation for the pilot, but not the cause of the crash.

Interesting that they did not discuss night currency that I saw.

Whatever the cause and events passengers died going recreational fishing. Same for Ted Stevens and others in similar aircraft. Most with experienced pilots onboard.

As far as issues that may have contributed I leave that to the folks that deal with these accidents daily.

Gary

I doubt that pilot will work again. I would hang it up if I killed three people due to my screw up.

Was he instrument rated, current--instrument and night?

IMHO
YMMV

Back