• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

One of Us

JP

FOUNDER
The Big Woods of Maine
Folks:

I regret to report that Kathy Hodgkins of KT Aviation died yesterday when the floatplane she was flying hit the side of a mountain at the edge of the 100 Mile Wilderness up here in Maine.

Kathy and her husband Tim are the co-proprieters of KT Aviation, which offers specialized tailwheel and float instruction. They own a J-5 and PA-11 for the fun stuff. The bulk of their business is flying 180s and 180 hp Skyhawks into and out of the sporting camps that dot the woods of Maine. KTAviation was recently featured in Seaplane magazine.

Kathy was enroute from Pushaw Lake Seaplane Base (O6B) to Lobster Lake yesterday morning when she failed to show up. The weather was a mixed bag at best. A search ensued and the aircraft was finally found late today on the side of Huston Mountain.

Kathy was a superb pilot and in real life she flew for Continental Airlines mainline as an FO on the 757, 767 and DC-10. An accomplished gardiner, she spent her spare time entertaining at the lake and flying about in her PA-11. She also dedicated a good deal of time to making sure her tailwheel students were of no great menace (that would be me and others) and that we really understood how to make that silly little wheel and those funky floats do what they are supposed to do.

She is survived by her husband, Tim, and her beloved dog Mousse.

Kathy will be sorely missed.

JP,
I am stunned to say the least. This is the first I've heard.
Kathy was a close professional friend. I trained and typed her in ATR 42,
and have remained good friends thru our career at main line. She was considered one of the finest 757/767 FO's in the company and a wonderful person to work with and you couldn't find a more enthusiastic person when it came to talking Cubs and floats.
She will be dearly missed by all of us at CAL as well as all those who new her.
Bob

A celebration of Kathy's life will be held from 11-4, September 4, at Kathy and Tim's home at 35 Luckey landing Road, Glenburn, Maine.

In keeping with Kathy's love of animals, in lieu of flowers memorial gifts may be made to the Old Town Animal Orphanage, P.O. Box 565, Orono, ME 04473 or to the Bangor Humane Society, 693, Mt. Hope Avenue, Bangor, ME 04401.

Condolences may be expressed through www.hampdengilpatrick.com.

For you COA types, it is my understanding that Express Jet will fly a special sector on 4 September EWR-BGR. Information will issue internally from the company.

Again, thanks to everyone who has contacted the family over the past few days. Your thoughts and kind deeds have been very much appreciated.
The aviation community is a tremendous community.

I have fond memories of Kathy crushing one ego right after another during the Greenville Seaplane Fly-In take off contest. She was a joy to watch and will be sadly missed.

My favorite is the day Kathy and I were practicing landings in my new J-3 Cub. I couldn't fly worth a darn that morning and Kathy humoured me repeatedly. After one particularly good bounce, skip and off into the grass she said over the intercom: "Gosh, if this had been a Luscombe you would have left the wheels behind....."

The next lesson it all clicked and I flew that Cub like I was on rails to each and every landing. I can still see Kathy grinning from her garden as I went round and round on a nice early summer day.

Life is short folks. Go fly. Fly safe. But fly.

AmphibXP said:
Is this going to be a drive in only event?

Absolutely not. 06B is a seaplane base (100LL and Auto) and there is also a 1,300 foot grass airstrip in the back yard.

Kathy would have loved to see a gaggle at 06B...

If you fly in remember that the base is right on the edge of Class C airspace (KBGR) and that use of the grass strip is solely at your risk and discretion.....

I know Timmy really well and see him often up here in Greenville. He is the one I did my checkride with. I am just questioning if it would be appropriate to arrive in the airplane. But knowing Kathy, I am sure she would not want people to stop flying...

For a lack better terms, losing a pilot in my backyard sucks... Losing Kathy really sucks....

There are a lot of people who make an impression on you life, some more so than others. Some have such an influence you change your views or habits in life based on their teaching or techniques. I call them mentors. Sometimes you don't even see the changes they make in you life until they are gone.

I lost one of those 10 years ago. Kathy Hodgkins affected my life in such a positive way during our years living in Maine. Kathy and my friend Tim were a great duo who taught me real flying and enjoying life to the fullest. Tim is still a wonderful person, as grumpy as his facade may be. We talk from time to time or meet up at random airports. But I really miss them as a duo.

kathy.jpg

Two things for me this evening.

1. Prayers for our old friend Tim. You don't have to comment, just keep him in your thoughts

2. Tell a mentor in your life what they have meant to you. You may not have a chance to do it some day.

Attachments

• kathy.jpg
    kathy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 271
Man, ten years? I didn't know them that well but I did get a chance to fly with her.
My dad has been terrorizing the sky's and lakes in a sky hawk on floats this week. He stopped in to pushaw. Tim sure doesn't look too grumpy.
ape3aqas.jpg

Tim is a great guy but has no tolerance for BS or incompetence. Kathy was one of the best seat of the pants instructors I ever flew with as she rivals Damian Delgazio for the feel of the airplane and student.. I has just got my SEA rating from the duo the week before her passing. All things wind...sail boat Pa11 and the PA24 besides 172 on floats.
10 years goes by fast.

Thanks for the reminder Chris, I need to go see Tim.
John

Back