• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

No transponder, best solution for ADS-B in/out?

. "The existing wiring and circuit breaker provide power and interface to the existing Mode C or S transponder through uAvionix’s patent pending power transcoder, company officials explain."

Didn't they swear on a stack of bibles that a certified version would be available by Oshkosh?

Didn't they swear on a stack of bibles that a certified version would be available by Oshkosh?

That was a certified version of the wing mounted nav light beacon. They did get it certified by Oshkosh. This is a tail beacon replacement that would presumably fit more planes than the nav light replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After reading the manuals on the 335 and the Appareo , I decided that Garmin has lost track of the principle of simplicity and went with the Appareo....not disappointed with my choice.

Ive installed three of the Appareo’s so far. They’re fairly simple to install. Figure $4,000 installed out the door. $4,500 if you want the ADSB in unit added.

I like the L3 Lynx if money’s no object.

Last edited:
North end of Puget Sound this afternoon. Good reason to have ADSB in/out.

6E9C706E-FE99-49DC-B42C-011178EE4545.jpg

Attachments

• 6E9C706E-FE99-49DC-B42C-011178EE4545.jpg
    6E9C706E-FE99-49DC-B42C-011178EE4545.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 284
Even better idea: Stay way the hell out of the Puget Sound area.

There ya go, choice of ADS-B units solved: None.

MTV
Ha! And a good reason to just use flight following. The ATC guys are good about calling traffic - and furthermore, just the traffic that might matter.

Even better idea: Stay way the hell out of the Puget Sound area.

There ya go, choice of ADS-B units solved: None.

MTV

Ha! That was almost word for word what I thought to myself when I read that post. Fly where you live, I suppose, but thankfully I live somewhere less busy than Puget Sound.

IMG_2122.JPG
ADSB has a place for me in the backcountry.

This image is of my Garmin 660 on the terrain page. Both planes are deep in a valley and not in visual contact.
The white lines are my bred crumb tracks. The yellow triangle is Terry’s Scout a quarter mile ahead of me and 200 feet below.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
North end of Puget Sound this afternoon. Good reason to have ADSB in/out.

I'm curious how many of those blips were at your altitude and/or otherwise a hazard to your navigation.
I've managed to aviate around the north end of Puget Sound for many years without colliding with anyone, just using my eyeballs.Not that hard.
Anything low-level that's not inside SEA's mode C veil or within class B or class C airspace is not required to have ADS-B out or a transponder.
Not sure how ADS-B in would help you spot them.

View attachment 38488
ADSB has a place for me in the backcountry.

This image is of my Garmin 660 on the terrain page. Both planes are deep in a valley and not in visual contact.
The white lines are my bred crumb tracks. The yellow triangle is Terry’s Scout a quarter mile ahead of me and 200 feet below. What accompanies your 660 to allow you to receive traffic in. Thanks in advance.

w

Sorry, I’m fairly new to posting and asking questions. My question ended up at the end of Bill.Brine post.
Never to old to learn.

Is it typical to get reception in a valley? I can't get a signal until well after takeoff.[/

I believe I was receiving an ADSB signal directly from the plane 200’ below and in front of me; peer to peer.
Both planes were well below ridge top so I doubt any ground based rebroadcast of the other planes position was available.

The government only assures reception at 6000 agl or greater in its mapped coverage areas. Doesn’t mean you won’t receive a signal lower, but that is a signal from a GBT (Ground Based Transmitter). The signal is line of sight, and the GBTs are spread out.

But, as Bill said, you may receive TRAFFIC alerts direct from another airplane. Again, line of sight.

You can only receive weather from a GBT.

MTV

Did a flight review in a C-180 floatplane yesterday that had ADS-B via I-Pad. Lots of activity but some was above a broken layer so no visual. Might be handy to have but I was concerned about the distraction to normal see and avoid. "It says there's one over there...above/below/same altitude" and so on. Meanwhile two pilots were focused on finding the particular ADS-B traffic to the potential exclusion of others non-transponder or ADS-B equipped. It would take some training to be used properly I believe from that brief exposure.

Still had fun in a type I hadn't flown in 20 years.

Gary

I agree on the tech distraction. Also on a BFR in a C180. The traffic alert going off. The pilot says, "Don't worry, it does that all the time" and continues looking down for a friends house along a lake. I look out and say, "Traffic 11 o'clock and fast". Close too, each aircraft swerved right.

I'll just keep looking out my window but, I do have family that I'd like to fly into visit within Seattle's Mode C veil. Because the traffic on the ground is worse than the traffic in the air and even in a slow moving Cub at least the Bee-line cuts my travel time in half, I'm thinking about a txpr and ADS-b out.

Has anyone designed a quick install/removal system on a transponder so that they don't have to pack it around with them during the 99+% of flights when it is useless?

Also, I'm looking for cheap, because my use will be so rare and I'm not independently wealthy, and functional system. I see a GDL82 ADS-b out paired with a pre owned GTX 327 txpr. Any experience yea or nay on those?

Thanks.

…. just use flight following. The ATC guys are good about calling traffic - and furthermore, just the traffic that might matter.

Sometime yes, sometimes no.
I fly a lot in Whidbey's class C, I have to call for a clearance & squawk and I get FF along with it, like it or not.
On several occasions I've had the controller call "traffic, twin Cessna, 12 oclock, 3 miles same direction" or similar--
in other words, no factor.
Then a few minutes later someone zips right by me without a peep from ATC.
Plus, I've noticed what Gary pointed out--
a traffic warning (from ATC or ADS-B) can get you focused on looking for that traffic....to the exclusion of others.
My preference is just plain old
see and avoid.

My initial exposure to ADS-B was without prior ground training. Sorta like harsh toilet training once airborne I suppose intermingled with other rusty skills and demands in the cockpit of an unfamiliar C-180 floatplane. While my Taylorcraft won't be equipped soon, I do intend to learn how it functions and to eventually integrate the tech.

There must be setup procedures for the alert triggers (distance between vert and horizontal) and audio options, plus the range on the GPS display can be varied and ours encompassed way too big of an area. Things to learn. Maybe some instructional videos or classes will be good.

For our Interior Alaskan coverage I see it's currently limited (https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/ICM/) but the maps are available with estimated altitude coverage. Maybe the best will be plane to plane in remote areas if equipped but again some won't be so see and avoid skills, especially in restricted terrain or near popular ops that requires attention, will never be replaced.

Gary

Whose BFR was it? Can I have his stereo?

I agree on the tech distraction. Also on a BFR in a C180. The traffic alert going off. The pilot says, "Don't worry, it does that all the time" and continues looking down for a friends house along a lake. I look out and say, "Traffic 11 o'clock and fast". Close too, each aircraft swerved right.

I'll just keep looking out my window but, I do have family that I'd like to fly into visit within Seattle's Mode C veil. Because the traffic on the ground is worse than the traffic in the air and even in a slow moving Cub at least the Bee-line cuts my travel time in half, I'm thinking about a txpr and ADS-b out.

Has anyone designed a quick install/removal system on a transponder so that they don't have to pack it around with them during the 99+% of flights when it is useless?

Also, I'm looking for cheap, because my use will be so rare and I'm not independently wealthy, and functional system. I see a GDL82 ADS-b out paired with a pre owned GTX 327 txpr. Any experience yea or nay on those?

Thanks.

In Foreflight, alerts are issued for targets inside 1 mile and +/- 1200 ft.

My initial exposure to ADS-B was without prior ground training. Sorta like harsh toilet training once airborne I suppose intermingled with other rusty skills and demands in the cockpit of an unfamiliar C-180 floatplane. While my Taylorcraft won't be equipped soon, I do intend to learn how it functions and to eventually integrate the tech.

There must be setup procedures for the alert triggers (distance between vert and horizontal) and audio options, plus the range on the GPS display can be varied and ours encompassed way too big of an area. Things to learn. Maybe some instructional videos or classes will be good.

For our Interior Alaskan coverage I see it's currently limited (https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/ICM/) but the maps are available with estimated altitude coverage. Maybe the best will be plane to plane in remote areas if equipped but again some won't be so see and avoid skills, especially in restricted terrain or near popular ops that requires attention, will never be replaced.

Gary

In Foreflight, alerts are issued for targets inside 1 mile and +/- 1200 ft.

Thanks Eddie but I've only seen Foreflight briefly with others equipment. Can the alerts be customized? Do they allow for climb or descent if detected in either or both aircraft? This thread asked specific questions so maybe now's not the time or place to explore this.

Gary

Here's a link to the ForeFlight Pilot's Guide: http://www.foreflight.com/support/p...353.14965621.1534884676-1219865753.1531270647

It can answer all your questions. But in short, FF doesn't "allow for" anything... It just notifies you of the traffic, and YOU (as the PIC) decide what to do about it. It does show you if the traffic is climbing or descending (except for primary targets rebroadcast by the ground stations - that data isn't available).

uAvionix (pronounced "micro-avionics" I believe) just announced a bunch of TSO' and are now expecting their STC and shipping this month.

https://uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/

And the big dog in the room just announced that they have filed a lawsuit against uAvionix for patent infringement. It seems that Garmin claims to own the concept of running ADS-B out via an existing Transponder. A vast oversimplification on my part, but the gist is Garmin is trying to prevent uAvionix from selling their ADS-B solutions.

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Garmin-Sues-uAvionix-Over-ADS-B-Patent-231408-1.html

MTV

Back