• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New type of airworthiness certificate for AK?

AKCub

Anchorage, Alaska
I was talking to an IA I work with about field approvals and STC's and he told me that they are going to continue to do a limited amount of field approvals here in Alaska but that sooner or later it will mean you are going to have a different type certificate for your plane. I believe he said they will be called a "legacy" certificate.
The jist of the conversation was that - yes, you can get a field approval for stuff like glassing lower doors and no fabric on your gear legs but when you take the airplane out of the FSDO area it was approved in your screwed (this of course is a much paraphrased version of the conversation...)
The whole -no field approval- thing just doesn't make sense to me. It seems to be one more bit of proof that the FAA doesn't want the hassle of dealing with general aviation and they are going to make it as hard as possible for us to use our planes.
Has anyone heard more about the field approval process and this new certificate?
Scott

http://www2.faa.gov/avr/afs/faa/8300/change16.cfm

Someone please read this and tell me what the hell. I don't think the FAA understands what they wrote. The way I read it if we have a previously approved 337 it is a basis for approval. It is up to the inspector and his experience. If he doesn't have any in the field of the mod he gets someone who does. If it was previously approved some other inspector had the experience to approve. If only it were this simple.

Back