• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Missouri Breaks (Winifred) 2023 June 23-24-25

centmont

SPONSOR
9S7 -- Montana's Missouri Breaks

Breaks Flyin... Winifred 9S7
23-25 June 2023:

This first notification is just to hold the place on your calendar.

We will once again celebrate backcountry flying, the Missouri Breaks, and a small friendly cow-town in Central Montana where there are only friends, close knit community, and sometimes horses in the bar.

Details to follow, but in the interim....look at some of the great photos from Breaks Flyins of the past here on SC.org

Last edited:
Missouri Breaks (Winifred) 2023 June 23-24-25

23-25 June 2023:

Below is partially rerun:
For First Time Attendees

Winifred is a town of about 150 august folks. After 100 plus years of stasis, Winifred is rapidly changing as we speak. A fellow pilot, and good friend of many of the attendees to this flyin,has donated 50 million dollars to refurbish/build on to the school. His instructions were simple..." Build in Winifred, the best school in Montana", and we are. My little house was one of the victims of the expansion, Melissa, who taught there for 38 years, would have had it no other way. Construction is complete. Come see what one super-generous (and highly successful) individual can do for the place where he was born and raised. This story is sort of what Winifred is all about... it is a village where time has not spoiled the folks who are hardworking, honest, generous, and make a living working off the land. We also have one great cafe, one filling station, one steak house, two churches and several bars. If it sounds too good to be true, just know I have had trouble believing it myself for the 45 years I have lived here. It is the way the world used to be, and we wish it still was.

The Winifred Suites ARE available this year. If you want a hotel room rather than camping, NOW is the time to call and reserve. The number of rooms is limited. 406 462 5323

Airstrips: 9S7 (Winifred Strip) is turf in good condition about 150' X 4000' running basically 10º - 28º. The strip rises gently uphill from the east to about 1000' from the west end where it becomes level. There is an embankment on the east end where there are frequently downdrafts in strong west wends. If wind conditions allow, land planes east to west. Down hill landings aren't bad...just a little longer than you are used to. Use 122.9 as the CTAF.

Breaks strips: All 6 strips run generally E - W and are between 1200 - 3000'. The shortest is Woodhawk at ca. 1000' with some trees on each end. The longest is a private strip called Heller Bottom which is the only strip right on the Missouri River in the Breaks. While private, we are welcomed at Heller by Loren Smith the owner. Loren has also installed some picnic tables and a small one-roomed KOA type cabin (first come first served). Use 122.9 to announce in the backcountry and, while we consider these strips relative easy for backcountry fliers, we lost a C185 and Carbon Cub just this last year (no injuries). It is backcountry....always have your "A" game on and look to avoid surprises.

For repeat visitors: I repeat the following.... it still hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

After years of whining, completely without restraints,
Lou, someone of influence has heard your complaints,

Norm's giving did not end with the school,
he has provided pilots a place of elegance for the stool,

There is an all tile shower, and heat on demand,
A mirror, and towels, and comfy places to stand,

It was Lou's concept but Norm's chore to do,
Say thanks to these two while you shower or poo.

-Anon-

Photo of Woodhawk bottom in the Breaks...not Winifred. "Woodhawkers" were tough folks living in these breaks before settlement who would cut wood and sell it to the paddle boats bringing goods and people to FT. Benton which was as far as a boat could go into Montana in those days. Truly following Louis and Clark's path.

8zFBIRP.jpg

23-25 June 2023:

We will once again celebrate backcountry flying, the Missouri Breaks, and a small friendly cow-town in Central Montana where there are only friends, close knit community, and sometimes horses in the bar.

I had a blast last year, met some good folks, did some fun flying (even in a C172, if you can believe it!), and met some great people. I look forward to being back again this year!

Steven

C49AF4F5-2016-4C58-B7E0-9B428D27158D.jpg
D7837AAB-3800-41E9-AF84-062F76A6D014.jpg

FFDF8E33-3FB1-4643-8714-FEAECB80972C.jpg

Attachments

• C49AF4F5-2016-4C58-B7E0-9B428D27158D.jpg
    C49AF4F5-2016-4C58-B7E0-9B428D27158D.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 129
  • D7837AAB-3800-41E9-AF84-062F76A6D014.jpg
    D7837AAB-3800-41E9-AF84-062F76A6D014.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 103
  • FFDF8E33-3FB1-4643-8714-FEAECB80972C.jpg
    FFDF8E33-3FB1-4643-8714-FEAECB80972C.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 108
There are 3 of us from Central CA that are going to do our best to get there this year!

I have elected to maintain my Montana medical license, and this gives me the ability to provide BasicMed examinations in this Great State. Anyone interested in obtaining a BasicMed exam at Winifred during the Flyin please email me at rcorfman@gmail.com. Of course, the exam is performed by a gynecologist (aren't they Jay P :lol: ).

Doc C

Randy: We will find a suitable room....or place in the house for your exams. You are the best gynecologist I ever had by the way. :) Ralph

I have elected to maintain my Montana medical license, and this gives me the ability to provide BasicMed examinations in this Great State. Anyone interested in obtaining a BasicMed exam at Winifred during the Flyin please email me at rcorfman@gmail.com. Of course, the exam is performed by a gynecologist (aren't they Jay P :lol: ). Doc C

I won't be attending, but I want to thank you for generously taking time out from having fun to do this.
I'm guessing you'll probably have a number of people take you up on it.

I have no excuse. My antique Commonwealth passed annual and I haven't been to the breaks country since 1991. If I can get my sleeping bag and beans packed up, and figure out what to do with the German Shepherd a friend dumped on me, I'm heading over there from Lewiston ID.

PIREP from Winifred:

Winifred lies on the border prairie not far from the Rocky Mountains. In fact the small group of mountains just north of us were called the "Rocky Mountains" when Louis and Clark first saw them in 1805... they later changed the name to "little Rocky Mountains" when they traveled further west and saw the Real Rockies looming above everything on the horizon. The weather here is different every year. For the past three years is has been bone dry. Last year the grass on the runway never came out of dormancy and we never mowed it. This year is the complete opposite....at least as of this writing. It looks Irish green here, water in every pond, runway is lush. We should be seeing the Breaks in their Sunday clothes.

This flyin is designed to facilitate your enjoyment of flying the breaks....There are a few organized events this year.

Arrival is Friday.... evening is a great to see the Breaks...the geology is outstanding with the sun lower on the horizon
between 7:30 and 8:00 we will begin to serve dinner sponsored by the Winifred Flying Club and especially the Montana Pilots Association. Sunset is officially at 9:20 pm with twilight running 20-30 minutes later Winifred does not have lights....we are right at the Summer Solstice. We have not finished negotiations for dinner....but should be free or donation.

Saturday: In years past, we have flown down "Dog Creek" to the confluence of the Judith and Missouri Rivers, then up the Judith to Lewistown, MT where there is a pancake breakfast and Central Montana flyin. This is "at your own risk" and while the flight is not inherently dangerous above the river canyon, we will need to make sure we watch out for each other and maintain good separation. You can also fly direct to Lewistown between the Moccasin and Judith Mountains.

Saturday mid day. We have an offer of snacks at a private airstrip north which would be a beautiful flight, but we will need to check it out and it may be a very short field experience. Other wise explore the breaks on your own.

Saturday evening: ca. 7:00 pm we will begin to serve"hangarburger" dinners. It is by the plate, somewhere between 10-20$. If at all possible we will gather around firepits and celebrate the 20th anniversary of the RAF. This is entirely appropriate given the fact that RAF was a major actor in securing the Breaks strips when the National Monument designation occurred and there was a strong movement to close all the strips to our use.

Sunday: Departure on your own.

Notes: **Bring tiedowns... The hangar will hold ca. 20 cubs, and there are some locals which get first pick....

*Breakfast and lunch are on your own.

**The Winifred Cafe has spectacular food.... most totally homemade. Galen Hanselman gave it the highest praise in his book of small unknown airports. If you order one of the Bar hamburgers, you better be really hungry. Next time you show up, regardless of how long it has been, Frank or Pagie will probably great you by name.

** The bathroom was gravely wounded this winter. It will not be as beautiful as it was but will be functional. There are also showers available at the hotel about 2 blocks walk away.

** There is a steak house in town if you want.

** We will visit the strips before Friday and can tell you about conditions etc.

** You are welcome to arrive early, we are sure we have a broom that will fit you :)

More info to follow....stay tuned. Ralph Thank you MPA and RAF for giving us these opportunities !!!

Thank you for the update Ralph. Can not wait to be out there again and to see you AND Carolyn! You can tell her that I said that. Hope a little extra nudging will help!

We may even be in the cub this year. I heard a rumor.....but don't hold me to it.

cafi

Please have the jaws of life on hand to get me out of the back seat... :)

sj

Naw Steve, this is cattle country. We’ll have a roping horse, and a good noose ready……and of course, a branding iron on the barbecue…..

See you there!

MTV

Please have the jaws of life on hand to get me out of the back seat... :)

sj

SJ, I believe you've been mis-pronouncing the region's name: It's Misery Breaks. :lol: At least that's what some of the Lewis and Clark expedition came to believe by that point in their journey.

Thanks. cubscout

Some news from Denton MT! You may recall that last year we flew to Denton for breakfast, and met a young couple who were trying to conceive. Well, their baby boy was born last Friday and the population of Denton increased by one!

I will be flying over there to the Shade Tree Cafe and hope others will, too, so we can welcome this baby to a Taildragger Christening!

Doc C
CB94C89FD-E993-4010-BBE7-CF340CE8FE0E.jpeg

E83E6B88-62B0-4CC9-8375-F3A371C378CB.jpeg

Attachments

• B94C89FD-E993-4010-BBE7-CF340CE8FE0E.jpeg
    B94C89FD-E993-4010-BBE7-CF340CE8FE0E.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 63
  • E83E6B88-62B0-4CC9-8375-F3A371C378CB.jpeg
    E83E6B88-62B0-4CC9-8375-F3A371C378CB.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 69
Great news RandyBob!
Yes, we need to go back to Denton again to welcome Denton's newest pilot to be!
LouBob

Ralph, I will reach out to these folks and make sure the hay has been cut from the Denton International Airstrip, and let the Shade Tree management know we will be coming!

Randy

(Ralph, what is planned for breakfast on Saturday?)

At this point I have no takers for a BasicMed exam at the Winifred Airport and Medical Center. I'm starting to make plans and need to know soon. No big deal if noone is in need.

Doc R

Randy: We are committed to the Lewistown Airport pancake feed and celebration of the RAF in LWT on Saturday. Get there with a great flight down the Missouri and Judith Rivers. R

Randy: We are committed to the Lewistown Airport pancake feed and celebration of the RAF in LWT on Saturday. Get there with a great flight down the Missouri and Judith Rivers. R

It would not be the Break's fly in without it!

sj

Town of Winifred 23.jpegOld homestead, 23 .jpegBreaks, no plane 23.jpegPhotos by L Furlong
PIREP from Winifred. Home a little early from JC, running from weather. This morning was perfect for flying in the breaks, no wind, great light for photography and plenty of time. It is still strikingly green and beautiful here. Three of us went out to check on the strips. All were dry. All, except Heller, were landable keeping in mind that the grass is a little taller than usual. Heller needs to be mowed, badly. Weather permitting, we will have a work party in Heller for mowing on Wednesday. Check with us, or scout closely. It is possible to land on the West end of heller but it will be 1000 ft, or slightly less, available before you run into some large standing weeds. I'll report back. Weather for the weekend carries some scattered showers. Almost every June afternoon carries some scattered showers. Will post again frequently. Ralph

Attachments

• Town of Winifred 23.jpeg
    Town of Winifred 23.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Old homestead, 23 .jpeg
    Old homestead, 23 .jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Breaks, no plane 23.jpeg
    Breaks, no plane 23.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 70
Back